IGNORED

1st Gen trailer hitches ?

BEER30

Any interest in 1st Gen trailer hitches ? Today a welder friend of mine stopped in to drop off a seat pan from a '54 and '55 Harley Davidson Hummer for me to recover during the winter months as he is restoring . He noticed that I had a Markland trailer hitch laying around the shop (Muffinman's hitch) and he mentioned if I could gather enough interest in them , he could make them for around $100.00 each . No chrome , nor powder coating , just plain bare metal .

This welder friend of mine is one top notch welder and specializes in fabricating trailers and hitches . He is also a biker as well .

I didn't think of it till later , was to ask him to make receiver hitches out of them . But I am sure it is doable . There are several Powder coaters around in my neighborhood .I could take the hitch I have in possession to inquire the cost to have them powder coated as well .

Any interest ?

BEER30

That's a bargain. Hitchdoc sells them for $235.00 and the only chrome you can see is the bit of chrome where the ball goes. Heck...take it and have it chromed and you are still ahead of the game. Not to mention that they don't even sell one for the '83-'85.

OH...Hitchdoc also makes one for the Magna...it's only $258.00.

That's a bargain. Hitchdoc sells them for $235.00 and the only chrome you can see is the bit of chrome where the ball goes. Heck...take it and have it chromed and you are still ahead of the game. Not to mention that they don't even sell one for the '83-'85.

OH...Hitchdoc also makes one for the Magna...it's only $258.00.

You got to be kidding:doh:

The hitch in question is for the Mk2 first gens.I will if interested get the one off of my 83 to the welder to make a template from.

Beer I am in for one for the 84 Ugly bike I will let you know when I will be able to get the bike down your way to let your Bud do what is needed to fab them up.

Jeff

Hey Jeff ,

I did let my welder freind know that there was a a difference between the 1st Gens year models and that there shouldn't be too much of significate mods in the mounts . He mentioned that the the other should not cost anymore as far as of now .

I have the hitch on hand today to run up to a powder coater to get pricing .

If I can gther up a bulk order , we should be able to keep the pricing down .

BEER30

Instead of copying the Markland hitch with the flat mounting plate and permanently mounted ball, ask if he could design one with a receiver. The '91VR I'm picking up tomorrow has a receiver so it can be done. I'll take pics of it and post if anyone's interested.....

Well guys , strike one on one powder coater ! Took the hitch in hand to get an estimate on powder coating .....$225.00 each plus pay for the coating materials . He can blow powder up his *** ! If you know what I mean . For that price , I can get the powder coater myself and do it . But I have enough project going on right now , plus my day job .

I got a few more local guys to check with ,so I am not giving up just yet .

BEER30

ECK get in touch with Venturedad. His reciver style hitch takes about 15 min to instal and works great on the 2nd gen. Mine was around the $100.00 range since i only got the hitch. I got my ball and reciever part from Autozone for obvious reasons.:) Good luck.!

Craig

got an 83 with the rear light bar on it i would be interested in a 100 hitch as well please if anyone knows could i use the hitch with the lower light bar or would i have to remove it. send info about hitch pricing to me for 83 thanks been looking all summer nothing around:bighug:

My 83 has the rear bumper assembly as well plus a Marland hitch too, perfect fit so yes you can install a hitch on your bumper plus keep your mud flap as well as long as its a Markland hitch or a home made hitch.

Ebay has a Markland hitch for the 83 - 85 venture listed number # 120190094347 perfect fit for the rear bumper set up.

Buddy

Instead of copying the Markland hitch with the flat mounting plate and permanently mounted ball, ask if he could design one with a receiver. The '91VR I'm picking up tomorrow has a receiver so it can be done. I'll take pics of it and post if anyone's interested.....

I agree. I know some folks have had a problem with a weak point on the Markland for the early first gens (although I don't remember exactly where it was). I found an alternative (I think it was custom) but it's still a solid ball mount. I'd consider replacing it with one that has a receiver if he can go that route.

Jack,did you get any pics of this set up?????This would be the best way to go IMHO...It would be more versatile,trailer for longer trips,storage rack for shorter rides....