IGNORED

Now I'm ticked!

barend

I've rented a routing/scheduling program for my business for some 5 years before finally buying the dang thing. Now I am trying to install it on my laptop which has Windows 7 and i get an error message. Since I am 9 days out of my annual update subscription they won't help me without my renewing the annual updates for a mere $350.

What gripes my rear about the program as well is that after I bought the program I found out that I have to have the programmers permission to use the damn thing through their password verification. And they wonder why I don't want to renew my updates.

Aaarggghh!

that's the cost sometimes with getting custom software. Hubby's a bit out of practice with programming (is back in school for it tho) I can see if he'd be willing to assist you in some way.

May take you up on that, I'll give them one more shot, then blast them on FB, LinkedIn, their user forum and among my colleagues. Who knows something may give

Before you blast them and burn bridges, take a few days and allow yourself to cool down.

A piece of software that works for you is very valuable, over starting over again with another piece of software. The cost and time involved in the learning curve is very, very expensive.

Try installing in under Wndows 7 "compatibility mode".

We've got 2 programs that won't install normally in Windows 7 but I was able to install them in this mode and then when I run the program I run them the same way...in compatibility mode.

As for the programming, unless a person has access to the source code and can re-compile it, not much can be done.

You might also want to try Windows Virtual PC ... http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx

We use it at work also for a couple Cisco web apps that are not windows 7 compatible.

I used to run "Clip" software which was specifically designed for landscaping. the last iteration I ran was their "Clip visual", it turn out it was written on old code and support always blamed the operator or the system. Yes they would generate patches which would run till the next problem came along, it got to the point that those who were vocal about the problems were banned from the user forum, were blocked from posting, the archives which documented all the problems were "lost", then suddenly there were no more problems because the posts describing issues were intercepted and kept of the forum altogether. There were also issues with the developer cheating contributing software writers out of their compensation, etc.

So a bunch of us moved to Alocet's QXpress, an OK program which integrates with QB. I say OK 'cause it is not from complete i.e. unfinished and it does not appear that there is any desire to add the finishing touches. Anyway's I rented the program for going on 6 years at over 500/yr before finally buying it for over 800 about a year ago. As stated my extortion agreement is 9 days out of date, I have over 200 support minutes they won't honor until I pay their annual fee, although they would be happy to assist if were an prospective customer. So yes, there are some sour grapes, but I don't think I am being unreasonable.

I'm getting a message which says: "the file C:\\Windows\system32\msvcrt.dll can not be opened". I am trying to find a solution through the programs help files and user forum, before moving on to y'alls suggestions.

thanks for the suggestions and letting me vent!

I'm getting a message which says: "the file C:\\Windows\system32\msvcrt.dll can not be opened". I am trying to find a solution through the programs help files and user forum, before moving on to y'alls suggestions.

thanks for the suggestions and letting me vent!

Did you look to see if that file exists?? I have it on my system... I think it's a standard Windows dll file.

I dont know if it will work in this case, but in the past I have had a bit of luck in finding an identical machine that works right, searching for the file and then copying it to a usb drive and then pasting into the proper file on your machine and letting it overwrite. If your file is corrupt it should fix it.

I cant see how this could make it worse as youre already not running properly, but be sure you use from the same OS. BUT I have been worng before....lol

Brian

that last link seems to have the solution. Having to change permissions on a bunch of files from "trusted Installer" to include system and administrator but it is loading in fits and spurts. I'm sure there's a way to change that for all application files, but I don't know it, Let you all know how this works out after I finish and get it installed.

just hope I don't screw someting else up:hihi:

Had to modify the security setting on about a dozen files but I got it up and running.

Thanks for all the assistance!!

\

Yup, that Windows 7 security can really cause a person some grief.

There's a lot of info about this on the net. Just google "how to turn off windows 7 security settings".