IGNORED

Help I am Lost

Rick Haywood

OK, I have done everything I can think of on this bike and it still runs like my old 59 Harley PanHead. When you roll back on the throttle it runs like you are in 5th gear at 45 MPH. I am doing 70 when I do this and it vibrates and feels like you are lugging the moter. I have reset the fuel/air mixture, synced the carbs, changed the plugs and air filters. Checked all vacum lines and the fuel tank vent tube. I am at a loss on why this bike runs like an old v twin Harley. It is not smooth when you throttle up and no I am not lugging it. If I am then it is a piss poor design that you have to be doing 75/80 when you shift to 5th and it still does it. Today I had a 25/30 mph head wind and it vibrated so bad when attempting to pick up speed at 65 mph that the handlebars were shaking. I even had it in the Yamaha shop and the rechecked the sync and said it was dead on and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with the bike. What do they run like if the valves are off? Is there any timing that can be done? Any ideas? :confused24:

Thanks

Rick

Forgot to mention that I already did that by hand and with a laser thermometer. I have done everthign I can think off and everything that I have read on here to do. What is really odd is that out of gear at idle and when you rev up the motor it sounds great. In 1st, 2nd, and 3rd the thing runs greeat and only does this in 4th a little but is really bad in 5th.

Forgot to add that I still get right at 40 mpg riding 2 up running about 60 mph on the 2 lanes. On the interstate it is about 36/37 mpg at 70/75. I am confused and I know it isn't suppose to run like this. Maybe I need to ride another one to compare.

Buy the way that is what it feels like. It acts like it is running on 3 cyls. But unless it does it when it gets over a certian rpm it is running on all 4

Edited by Rick Haywood

Hmmm fuel delivery..............What a dumb a** I am. I didn't change the fuel filter. 40,000 miles on the bike and never been changed that I know off. I got the bike last July with 19,000 on it so bet it has never been changed.

And yes EUSA1 lives not to far away and he offered to switch and see plus I am going to Bryans Meet and Eat in Iowa so there should be a few there also. Maybe a fuel filter will solve my problem.

Edited by Rick Haywood

Thinking out loud, bogs under load at speed

Sounds like main jet sliders not keeping up with throttle

Maybe dirt/carbon in-on sliders, holes in diaphrams, vacum leak, valve lash shim adjustment

Also maybe igntion timing not keeping up- not sure of RSV, does it have manifold sensor? Maybe defective sensor or vacum leak.

:2cents:

you might want to re check your math....... guess they are cheap if i had your kind of money!!:rotf:

5DM-14940-00-00 DIAPHRAGM ASSY each $31.86 x4= $127.44

Edited by eusa1

Hey Rick, I live 5 miles away and have a bike with the same driveline!

One suggestion. When giving an engine a lot of throttle in a high gear, even at speed, you are putting it under more stress then in lower gears. This will let problems show up that might no happen, like an ignition problem. I know I had a bad spark plug wire on a Chevy V8 once, and it would only show up when towing something and in high gear.

Might want to spray the engine with water vapor (from a spray bottle) while hot and idling in the dark. Stray electricity that is leaking would be visible. Under conditions mentioned, the air/fuel mixture is harder to ignite than at higher rpm/lighter load. So a slight leak at low speeds might be a misfire at high loads?

Just a suggestion.

Check your air boxes for anything. Open them up and check the filters. Mine was doing that and it was something in the airbox. Ran fine till I was in 4th or 5th.

What did you find when you opened them up? I just put new air filters in. I ordered 4 new diaphrams today. I got a pretty good price from my loacl dealer $99.23 including sales tax. The bike is 11 years old so can't hurt to change them. As for the seafoam I have run plenty through the tank, I run a few ounces threw it ever 8-10 tanks which is every 2-3 weeks. I checked the plug wires but will check them again. Hopefully the new diaphrams solve the issue.

Well, I put new diaphrams in the carbs and man did it make a world of difference. I only rode it about 20 miles but it is so much smoother. I am not sure but I believe it is better than when I bought it last july. So now I know what it was and next time I'll replace them first. By the way, replacing the diaphrams was one of the easiest things I have ever done to a bike. It tokk me about 45 minutes from start to finish. I believe I need to resync the carbs but my friend EUSA1 said he would do that for me. I will be ready for riding now.