IGNORED

New BMW 1600 review

CrazyHorse

Has anyone read the June Cycle World review of the new BMWK1600? A friend described the article as the bike being the most magnificient bike they have ever ridden. Everything from the motor to suspension to brakes to handling is flawless. Puts the Goldwing out to pasture, but you have to part with $26K. I havent seen the article yet.

Edited by CrazyHorse

I'm not going to read it. I'm not going to read it. I'm not going to read it. I'm not going to read it. I'm not going to read it. I'm not going to read it. I'm not going to read it. I'm not going to read it. I'm not going to read it. I'm not going to read it.

:bang head:

Guest scarylarry

BMW might be all that but in Nashville there is one dealer and I think there might be a part getting issue, if they are like everyother dealer they keep minimum parts on hand if that... IMHO.

I like knowing I can get some parts or if I have to order them they aren't across town...

For me the closet dealer is 50 miles one way..

BMW might be all that but in Nashville there is one dealer and I think there might be a part getting issue, if they are like everyother dealer they keep minimum parts on hand if that... IMHO.

I like knowing I can get some parts or if I have to order them they aren't across town...

Yes its about 25 miles for me.

My brother is going saturday to test ride the new GTL 1600. He will confirm his order if he likes it. He bought a 2008 Bmw LT but he got taken out by a 10 point buck on his way to work, and it was totaled. And he only spent about 3 weeks in the hospital lucky to be alive. Will give more info after he calls me saturday evening.

Richie R

It's a BMW.

Unless you are unlucky, or there is some unexpected design flaw, you won't need the Dealer other than for routine servicing :)

Guest scarylarry
It's a BMW.

Unless you are unlucky, or there is some unexpected design flaw, you won't need the Dealer other than for routine servicing :)

You might be right, I have one warranty issue with this Venture knock on wood..

Besides does BMW have a site like this? :)

My brother is going saturday to test ride the new GTL 1600. He will confirm his order if he likes it. He bought a 2008 Bmw LT but he got taken out by a 10 point buck on his way to work, and it was totaled. And he only spent about 3 weeks in the hospital lucky to be alive. Will give more info after he calls me saturday evening.

Richie R

Be interested to hear about it.

I really want one of these bikes.Back in the day I had a Kawasaki KZ1300.That was an inline transverse mounted six cylinder engine with about 130 or so horsepower right out of the box.What a bike that was.The thing had endless torque and could accelerate like you could not imagine.:cool10:

One of the guys on the LD Rider List posted this today:

(I redacted anything that would identify the writer)

"Quick impressions from a 30 mile test ride:

Noticeably lighter and nimbler than a Gold Wing, K1200LT or Road Glide, but noticeably fatter and heavier than my overloaded FJR.

The basic ergonomics are excellent for my size (6'2", 36" inseam). You sit in the motorcycle, rather than perched on top. Upper legs were level, about a 90 degree bend at the knees with feet on the pegs, and there was almost no extra reach for the bars when sitting upright. The seat height was lower than anticipated, but felt thinly padded (not closed-cell foam?), and I expect it will get noticeably uncomfortable with distance. The grips were disappointing, a constant-radius cylinder, instead of the better contoured shape we have come to expect from BMW.

Cornering cautiously, the bike seemed to offer more ground clearance than expected. Steering effort was neutral from upright to as far as I dared lean. I have never cared for BMW's Telelever front ends because of the poor feel, and was very conservative to avoid tossing ****'s new machine down the road. This bike was probably not designed to be taken off pavement, where front end feedback is much more important, but that doesn't mean that no one will try. Tires were Metzeler MEZ8 RoadTecs, 120/70ZR17 front and 190/50ZR17 rear.

The stock windscreen is noisy and turbulent for most of the adjustment range, but improved a bit near the middle, when looking just over the top edge.

The motor is the smoothest and gives the bike the broadest powerband of any motorcycle I have ever ridden. It revs very quickly from idle to redline with an intoxicating whine, and seems nearly impossible to lug with too much throttle at low RPM. If you don't mind all the bulk that it brings, it's a fantastic engine. The "fly-by-wire" throttle takes some practice to operate smoothly, certainly in part because so much happens so quickly when one uses it.

Braking was excellent, with smooth, very fast stops that allowed good feel until the ABS kicked in and gave some pulsing through the pedal and lever.

Fit and finish were good, paint was a very deep blue metallic that is nearly black. There's chrome trim on outer edge of the saddlebags and a couple of other places - too much for my taste, but reasonably restrained. This bike is made for the American market, and I guess they believe that we love chrome. I could not help but think that a parking lot drop with this thing would probably be worth at least $2-3000. Some factory tip-over guards will supposedly be available.

Electronic cruise control, heated grips, and radio controls are all accessible without taking your hands from the bars. There seemed to be about a half dozen buttons and switches on each pod for suspension adjustment and other things I wasn't patient enough to be interested in. Turns signals are revolutionary for BMW - the left-hand stalk, push-to-cancel types that have been standard equipment nearly everywhere else since the 1970s.

The signals appeared to be LEDs integrated into the front edge of the fairing, and the rear tail light. There were a pair of factory auxiliary lights on stalks at the lower front edges of the fairing as well, mounted wide, and about 15" from the ground.

I'm not a BMW Kool-Aider and didn't expect to be impressed. I was. The combination of that motor in a relatively light and agile package is a significant step forward in a luxury touring motorcycle.

I'll certainly never own one, but wouldn't mind a loaner every now and then."

Well my brother called and he is still grinning! He said the bike looks big but after you get on it it feels like a smaller sized bike. Handling and ride is awesome and the power is unreal. Never got it over 5000 rpms but had had up to 110 mph and way more to go.

So he waiting for his to show up next month.

http://bl165w.blu165.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=5&messageId=02541a09-78f1-11e0-b3d9-00215ad9bc92&Aux=44|0|8CDDB14F8E31B10||0|0|0|0||&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att

Well my brother called and he is still grinning! He said the bike looks big but after you get on it it feels like a smaller sized bike. Handling and ride is awesome and the power is unreal. Never got it over 5000 rpms but had had up to 110 mph and way more to go.

So he waiting for his to show up next month.

http://bl165w.blu165.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=5&messageId=02541a09-78f1-11e0-b3d9-00215ad9bc92&Aux=44|0|8CDDB14F8E31B10||0|0|0|0||&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att

How much?

160hp...129ft/lbs torque....the local BMW dealer gets one in a week or so...already sold for just over 31K...very sophisticated, techy type of bike...the headlight is facing up with a mirror controlled by a gyro so the beam always aims where you are going....suspension/power are adjustable....could be the new bench mark....love to get one and meet a V-rod at a light some time....