Need a hand please.

I need to remove the front caliper to inspect squeaky pads and have removed both bolts. I assumed the caliper would slide off, but it will not. Have I missed something or is there a method used for removal?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

They should just slide right off. The million dollar word is 'should'. The caliper bolts on my RSV are the hex head (allen key) ones, not to be confused with the 'standard' bolt type that hold the entire assembly together.

You may need to open the bleed valve so that you can compress the pistons a little to work them off. Under normal operating conditions this step ought to be un-necessary but if you are sure you have the correct bolts out and that the calipers just won't budge, this would be my next step. After all, there are really only 2 things that would prevent the calipers from coming off and [in theory] you have already removed one of them [the bolts].

:080402gudl_prv:

They should just slide right off. The million dollar word is 'should'. The caliper bolts on my RSV are the hex head (allen key) ones, not to be confused with the 'standard' bolt type that hold the entire assembly together.

You may need to open the bleed valve so that you can compress the pistons a little to work them off. Under normal operating conditions this step ought to be un-necessary but if you are sure you have the correct bolts out and that the calipers just won't budge, this would be my next step. After all, there are really only 2 things that would prevent the calipers from coming off and [in theory] you have already removed one of them [the bolts].

:080402gudl_prv:

This ^

Usually its easy enough to move the pistons enough without opening the bleed nipple.

Just twist the caliper back and forth until a gap opens. This will be hard if the pistons are very dirty and sticking, otherwise it just takes a moment.

The excess fluid, which is a tiny amount, simply backs up into the master cylinder.

Hey Mike,

This might be an indication that the pistons in that brake caliper are sticking, and keeping your pads partially engaged against the rotor. If you crack the bleeder, you should be able to "push" the pistons back into the caliper body which are on the outboard side of the caliper. Once that caliper is removed from the rotor, have a good close look at the pistons for brake dust build up, try pushing them with your thumb, if you can't move them by hand, they will not retract properly.

Earl