IGNORED

keeping count on what gear you're in

naturbar

Ya, only sometimes I added when I should have subtracked. Then the other way around also. Good thing there is the digital read out.

I'll admit also, I get all flustered when I miss a gear, then I'm searching for a gear. On top of that trying to keep count. It's really tough.

i try to all the time,i don't like surprizes on the bike plus i think if you pay atttencion to what gear your in it helps your driving abilatiy such as not lugging it or down shifting when you dont need to especially on wet roads,good way to go down.so yes i always do however sometimes i forget,-----what were we talking about??o yea keep your head in the game.:bluesbrother:

I just listen for the RPMs.... if too high for the performance I want, I shift up one or two gears and if the RPMs are too low for the performacne I shift down one or two gears.

If the RPMs are about right, I dont shift....

My only problem comes when I am in top gear and am looking for more....... 6th, 7th, 8th, etc...

Edited by KiteSquid

as i am shifting thru the gears , either up or down i always count the gear i am in - does anyone else keep track this way....curious minds what to know !

When I first started riding this bike, especially since it doesn't have a tach, I made a point of counting. It did not take long for me to be able to correlate the sound of the engine to my speed and then know what gear I am in. So, I don't think I explicitly count anymore but I know what gear I am in when it counts.

I don't know if that answers your question or not but that is what I 'do'.

I just listen for the RPMs.... if too high for the performance I want, I shift up one or two gears and if the RPMs are too low for the performacne I shift down one or two gears.

If the RPMs are about right, I dont shift....

My only problem comes when I am in top gear and am looking for more....... 6th, 7th, 8th, etc...

DITTO

I added three LED lights to mine, in addition to the dash indicator. I don't have to look down and refocus on dash to know gear I am in. Even though 2nd & 4th don't have lights, if there is no lite on, I know difference between those two right away. It is nice once I got use to it.

I have a lite for 1,3 & 5 gear mounted under visor on dash.

I had a different version of this on my 83 instrument cluster, but went with this when I upgraded.

Light isn't nearly as bright as it appears in picture. Not to bright at nite even.

Gary

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/PICT0291.jpg

I have a chalkboard on the dash and write & erase as I go. It's the only way I can remember. :confused24:

:rotf::rotf:

This I like, Very funny.

You just need to be able to steer with one hand & ......

But you might not be ampidex ...err... ambidex.... umm, able to write with the other.......

ahh..... . Forgot what I was ... umm ....... never mind.

Tony

I have to add to that

I just listen/feel through my hands and feet by the bikes slight vibrations for the RPMs

I agree with both your posts. I never seem to know what gear I'm in and sometimes I get a surprise when I let the clutch out.:doh:

The other thing that happens maybe a couple of times a summer, I'm running up through the gears and then forget if I need to push down with the heel or with the toe, hummmm now that gets the revs up pretty good. Seems to happen when I think about what I'm doing vs just doing it.:confused24:

BOO

I don't like the surprise either when I want to get out of the way or something.

Once I get a chance I turn on the cruise and set it. Light will come on when in fourth (or fifth). If the light is not on I know I am in one of the first three gears. First is real easy to tell, so are 2nd and third.

Doesn't help much but real easy to pay attention without counting

Brad

Maybe someday someone will create a M/C with voice recognition so I can just ask, What Gear Is It?

Good Idea until it gets implemented like those cars with the open door alarm: "You're in Fouth Gear! You're In Fourth Gear! You're in Fourth Gear!...." By the time you reach fifth, you're probably ready to put the bike down and shoot the block.:whistling:

Now - funny you should ask that question.

For a quick answer - yep, I keep count of the gear/s I'm in.

Long answer is - I'm a retired LEO.

Used to carry a six-shot Smith & Wesson.

It was a matter of officer survival to know how many shots you had fired (Well, are ya feelin' lucky punk?)

Then I got issued with an 18 shot Glock (Go ahead - make my day!)

Still used to get in the habit of counting rounds fired, especially on the range.

(Never fired a shot in anger in 27 years of being a LEO!)

Now that I'm retired, I need something to count - so I count the gear/s I'm in.

Simple!

Green light = full magazine!