IGNORED

Where do I find this vinyl braid?

Freebird

I want to make a set of saddlebag bibs that match my Hopnel tank and trunk bibs. I finally found and bought some basketweave vinyl that is a very close match.

I thought that the vinyl braid would be very easy to find but I've looked everywhere that I know to look and haven't been able to source it. It is about 5/16" - 3/8" wide. Any ideas?

Don...I know you probably want to make this yourself...but my guess is that you could find this from a leather maker or even have this replicated by a leathersmith. They could make this basketweave pattern by stamping it.

I actually spoke to a couple of folks who do leather work and they told me that they couldn't really duplicate it. It's not that I really want to make it myself, I just couldn't find anybody to do it. Now that I have the basketweave material, maybe I would offer to send it to them and now they could do it. I don't know.

SOME of those real leathersmiths get a bit uppity if you mention vinyl. :whistling:

I actually spoke to a couple of folks who do leather work and they told me that they couldn't really duplicate it. It's not that I really want to make it myself, I just couldn't find anybody to do it. Now that I have the basketweave material, maybe I would offer to send it to them and now they could do it. I don't know.

SOME of those real leathersmiths get a bit uppity if you mention vinyl. :whistling:

Have you asked Ace High Leather??

Yes, she was one of the first that I contacted. She did NOT get uppity though. :) She did tell me that she could not duplicate basketweave tough. Actually I may contact her again now that I have that material and just see if they can make them if I send it to her.

I have seen some fine looking weaving and brading here in the south....figure they must spend hours at it. Even seen several different colors mixed in too, but I have always been curious as to how OFTEN they take it apart so they can wash all that hair..

Now with that in mind.... Maybe there is a family of this culture in your neck of the woods that has an offspring with braided weaves on thier head and you could stop and ask the lady sitting on the porch if she would be interested in helping you and making a few bucks....

Word of caution here:

Stay out from between her and that ugly looking spit can on the floor when she is about to answer you..

No really, I meant you could stop by your local ladies hair coloring salon and see if one of them could give it a go... :confused24:

Don.that is just a standard "4 plat". go to a hobby shop , buy a "macrame book" for about 2 bucks and learn how to do it yourself.

i could teach you in 4 minutes, but i can't SEE you!

i think a prettier,more durable trim, would be a "double button-hole stitch", like is used for edging on western wallets.

just jt

Yes, it is a Hopnel bib. I contacted them MONTHS ago asking if I could buy some of the basketweave vinyl and they never even responded. They have actually been bought out by somebody else now though. I finally found some vinyl that is actually upholstery material for the old VW Beetles and it is almost a perfect match.

Yes, she was one of the first that I contacted. She did NOT get uppity though. :) She did tell me that she could not duplicate basketweave tough. Actually I may contact her again now that I have that material and just see if they can make them if I send it to her.

You might try a western saddle maker if they have any left in Ohio... :) OR even a belt maker. They have embossing plates and can run a backet weave on a 3/4" belt. Not hand tooled, but should be good enough for what you need?? Maybe a company that deals in Police supplies. The Brownie Belt is still available??

Tandy Brands

Edited by Condor

Hey Don,

I'm curious where you found this vinyl? The reason I ask is that it is the same pattern that we have seen on Kawasaki Concours seats and even some of the Corbins in the past. And I heard from one of my sources that it can't be found today.

Thanks,

Rick

Yes, it is a Hopnel bib. I contacted them MONTHS ago asking if I could buy some of the basketweave vinyl and they never even responded. They have actually been bought out by somebody else now though. I finally found some vinyl that is actually upholstery material for the old VW Beetles and it is almost a perfect match.