IGNORED

Loose Screws....

CaptainJoe

Never could find the articule about loose screws on a RSV, but, I know it will happen to the:

left and right saddlebag lids

trunk lid

Now, for my story...

Thursday I decided to take the 650 VStar midnight custom out for a spin and rode about 50 miles. Was going down a straight away when "sprong" the top of my gas cap came off and started to go to the road. I hit it with my right knee and it landed in my lap. Then, a metal/rubber section came up and i did the same thing. I slowly stopped and looked at pieces in my lap. In all 3 pieces. A brass piece a rubber piece and the chrome topper. I stuffed a leather glove down the tank hole and proceeded home. Out of curiousity I discovered my RSV locking gas cap fits beautifully on the 650. Probably the exact same cap.

Now, I have to drain the gas tank and retrieve the two phillips head screws and the aluminum spring assembly that must have fallen into the tank.

Guess what I'm saying is, the gas cap screws need to be added to that list...:bang head:

"I think I would just leave those parts in the tank and find new ones."

If I did that people would be saying I had a couple of loose screws...:rotf::rotfl:

It's the principle of the thing with me... they are comming out and getting a liberal dose of blue locktite!:eek:

Edited by CaptainJoe

Man I read the title and thought you were talking about me. LOL. You may find it a LOT harder to retrieve the parts than you may think. There is a lip that will help to prevent them from just slipping right out and when you are done you will also need a new pep-cock gasket as well. I will add my vote to just leaving them there. This way when someone says you have a loose screw you can just say, I know, But I can not get them out of the tank. Shaun

There is two philips head screws and an angled aluminum piece with springy tabs on both sides at the bottom of my tank...

If it were just the screws I could live with them at the bottom of my tank and just replace them at any hardware store that sold metric screws.

Just take the gas cap off your RSV... It's the same one...

The 2 screws and aluminum piece will fall in but the rubber gasket, a brass piece and the chrome topper can't.:confused24:

Skydoc_17,

Took you advice and used my magnet...

The parts that I thought were aluminium weren't...

In all I pulled 7 pieces from the tank.

There are 12 pieces above tank... I had 5....

Went to hadware store and bought spring, cut them down. made 1 rubber piece and 2 plastic pieces and put back together ...

Folks I shopped around for a new 650 Vstar gas cap. It's the very same one that's on your RSV. When I checked the one on my RSV, both screws on it were also loose.... if it falls apart, you will loose the tiny springs and plastic pieces(which you can't buy) and A new gas cap is $142.00!

Do yourself a favor and place your gas cap upside down on a cloth take the 2 screws out and put a drop of blue loctite on them and re-install. If you don't lift the angeled piece, that the screws hold down, it's a 2 minute job...

"Never could find the articule about loose screws on a RSV, but, I know it will happen to the:

Gas cap

left and right Saddlebag lids

trunk lid

where is this list of loose screws? If gas cap isn't on it could it be added?

Edited by CaptainJoe

There was thread a good while back that suggested lock tite-ing the fuel cap screws. After I read it and check both bikes, I found the screws were loose in both caps.

On the subject of saddle bag lid screws. I found the lids all seemed loose, but the screwa were tight. The problem I found was the casting of the hinges were longer that the bags are thick. So, the screws tightened against the casting without any clamping force on the bags/lids. to solve THAT situation, I had to take the hinges completely off the bike and do a little grinding. I KNOW I didn't use Locktite on the hinge screws, but I think I remember putting a small amount of "Yellow 3M" (redneck locktite) on the threads before I reinstalled the hinges.

Skydoc_17,

Took you advice and used my magnet...

The parts that I thought were aluminium weren't...

In all I pulled 7 pieces from the tank.

There are 12 pieces above tank... I had 5....

Went to hadware store and bought spring, cut them down. made 1 rubber piece and 2 plastic pieces and put back together ...

Folks I shopped around for a new cap. It's the very same one that's on your RSV, when I checked mine both screws were loose.... if it falls apart, you will loose, tiny springs and plastic pieces... a new gas cap is $142.00!

Do yourself a favor and place your gas cap upside down on a cloth take the 2 scresws out and put a drop of blue loctite and re-install them. if you don't lift the angeled piece, the screws hold down, it's a 2 minute job...

"Never could find the articule about loose screws on a RSV, but, I know it will happen to the:

Gas cap

left and right Saddlebag lids

trunk lid

where is this list of loose screws? If gas cap isn't on it could it be added?

So you had more loose screws than you thought?? I ain't saying...:whistling: Going back to my corner:innocent: :rotfl::rotfl: