IGNORED

Repair Exhaust Collector

On my way to Marcarl's this spring, I ran over something that did a job on my exhaust collector (on the highway at 70mph). Ended up with two fairly large holes on the botom, one with a large dent. Carl tried a patch but that did not hold. I tried more patching with some muffler cement and again, the heat and pressure blew holes in the patch areas.

Any reason why I can't weld a patch in place? How important is it to try to straighten out the indent before patching? All comments appreciated!

I was pretty sure I saw a thread here somewhere when a member had a baffle come loose inside the collector and cut an openeing to remove the rattle and then just took it to a welder and closed it up with a patch like you describe.

brian

Thanks all for the responses. Major help as usual!

I forgot to ask one other question. I have rode quite a bit since the collector was badly punctured. Is there any reason other than leaky exhaust and noise why I should get this repair done as soon as possible rather than letting it go for a while. I do a 500 mile run fairly often.

Thanks all for the responses. Major help as usual!

I forgot to ask one other question. I have rode quite a bit since the collector was badly punctured. Is there any reason other than leaky exhaust and noise why I should get this repair done as soon as possible rather than letting it go for a while. I do a 500 mile run fairly often.

Holes in the collector will lead to a reduction in back-pressure from the exhaust.

That will cause the engine to run lean, and much hotter than it should.

You may get spitting back through the carbs and/or backfiring in the exhaust.

Either way, it needs to be fixed :)

Twigg is correct in the grand scheme of things but the fact is, if it is just a small puncture, it will have a very negligible effect if any. It won't reduce back pressure nearly as much as most of the after market mufflers that people install. If it's just a small puncture and the sound doesn't drive you crazy, it wouldn't bother me to ride it many miles.

Twigg is correct in the grand scheme of things but the fact is, if it is just a small puncture, it will have a very negligible effect if any. It won't reduce back pressure nearly as much as most of the after market mufflers that people install. If it's just a small puncture and the sound doesn't drive you crazy, it wouldn't bother me to ride it many miles.

That, of course is true too :D

One of the downsides of having an exhaust with minimal back pressure (like Harleys with straight pipes) is, as mentioned, running lean which leads to hotter exhaust which can, and does sometimes, eventually burn exhaust vaslves...