IGNORED

My new (to me) baby (not bike related)

mmoffitt

Well, I decided it has been over a year since my last mid-life crisis, so I had better get on it. I haven't had a nice vehicle (other than motorcycles) for myself in MANY years. The wife always seems to get the new car and I get the hand me down. So I decided my F-250 was burning too much diesel at $4.00 a gallon. Although this car doesn't get a ton more mileage, it does get a little more and the gas is cheaper.

It's a 2006 Ford Mustang with 38,000 miles. Just the standard v6 model but a good compromise between the look I wanted and the better gas mileage I wanted. Looks brand new inside and out. I added window tint and a new radio so far...but this thing is like when you start adding to our bikes...there just isn't any end in sight to the accessories I could add. Some things in the future that might be added: hood scoop, window louvers, rims, chin and rear spoilers...It's a fun car. I don't drive it hard (never been a speed demon) but it can get up and go when needed.

I'm a happy boy with a new toy!:cool10::bighug:

to my likes - 1964,65 and 1966 were the last years for a Mustang. That is until several years ago when Ford came out of their shell with the new Mustang body design.

Your's is one of them - very good looking car !! Congrats :thumbsup:

btw - tell me about the radio ? is it a touch screen ?

Edited by Hummingbird

Ahh, the radio...it was my first upgrade...It's a Pioneer P3200BT. They have a newer model (P3300BT), but I'm cost concious (umm, cheap), so I got the older model (and open box) from Amazon.com. Normal price is about $400-450 in the retail stores around here and I got it for $290. It is touch screen, bluetooth (the "bt" of the model number), USB and SD card, Play movies (from dvd, SD or USB), and integrates and controls the iPod directly from the radio. There are other models that are not "bt" but "dvd". these do everything except the bluetooth. You can add bluetooth and navigation by buying the add-on units (for something around $200-250 each!).

Only thing I didn't like about this model is that the USB is in the front. That's great if you access it once in a while but I wanted to plug in my ipod and leave it plugged in. I didn't want the ugly cord hanging down all the time. So I opened up the radio and soldiered in a USB extention cable and ran it out of the back of the radio into my glove box. Now you don't have to see it!

The other thing about this (and many other) radio is that (for legal reasons) it disables the video except when the parking brake is on. this is an easy fix. Added a toggle switch that grounds the proper line whenever I want, this allow you to watch videos whenever you want even with the car moving. I don't plan to watch it while driving but I don't see why the passanger shouldn't be able to watch it while I'm driving!

Thanks for the comments. I felt the same way about the looks of the Mustange and the years you listed are pretty much what I liked too...

Mike

I think I got you beat with regards to 'cheap' - I just can't make myself look at a radio as long as I have XM on the bike and in my truck.

BUT - I did spring for an I-Pilot for my trolling motor the other day. $362 for an add on to an already overpriced MinnKota Terova w/auto-pilot but I promised myself not to leave any money for anybody to fight over :innocent-emoticon:

You are the best dad ever! Many are inconsiderate and leave money for their kids after they die but this often leads to in-fighting among family members. You have thought ahead enough to eliminate this by spending it all before then...you have got to get the dad of the year award! :rotf::rotf::rotf:

That's the first thing I did to my F150. Replaced the radio. Put a Pioneer F710BT in mine. Then added 400 watt Infinity amp driving a 12 in sub woofer. It sounds pretty good, still gotaa repalce the stock speakers. Yea, cars and trucks can be anudder monypit...... I