IGNORED

passanger vibration from backrest

22lyons

bought a 2000 venture last fall and got a chance to get out with the wife to ride. she told me that the backrest seemed to vibrate a slight bit that was irritating. she said the 82 goldwing didn't do that so wondering if something may be wrong.

thanks

larry

My wife complained of the vibration if I was slightly lugging the engine. Say you are running 50 to 55 mph and come to a grade and as the throttle rolls on there will be more of a vibration and it really shows up in the backrest. She would feel it before me and she would let me know when to downshift. Most anytime below 60 to 65 under acceleration she would feel it. Just try dropping down a gear when it happens.

Dennis

not sure what mufflers but they are louder.

i can't feel anything. I did remove the trunk in the fall to lube the rear/end drive shaft etc.

Ummm, you do not need to remove the trunk to lube the rear end, grease the splines and replace tire.

But onto your problem, when is the last you synced the carbs, because my passenger will feel vibrations before I do. Usually syncing gets rid of the vibration.

Another, when the rear wheel was replaced, was it balanced?

and another, is your rear tire pressure correct?

I know others will have ideas too.

Ummm, you do not need to remove the trunk to lube the rear end, grease the splines and replace tire.

But onto your problem, when is the last you synced the carbs, because my passenger will feel vibrations before I do. Usually syncing gets rid of the vibration.

Another, when the rear wheel was replaced, was it balanced?

and another, is your rear tire pressure correct?

I know others will have ideas too.

1. wiring/lighting too

2. not sure when synched good idea

3. tire supposed to be balanced by dealer when replaced

4. pressure is good

My wife complained of the vibration if I was slightly lugging the engine. Say you are running 50 to 55 mph and come to a grade and as the throttle rolls on there will be more of a vibration and it really shows up in the backrest. She would feel it before me and she would let me know when to downshift. Most anytime below 60 to 65 under acceleration she would feel it. Just try dropping down a gear when it happens.

Dennis

Good thought. I am not one who tends to lug; however, we were taking back country roads. I will have her think about this when at lower rpm's!

Has the rear suspension been altered. How much air in the rear shock?

I just replaced the rear tire, plus I adjusted the air in both front and rear shocks this evening and noticed a much smoother ride home.

Is your wife petite? The empty space under the back rest caused my wife to be a little bit uncomfortable on long rides. She will sometimes place a small jacket/sweater in the empty spot for lower lumbar support as well as added seat pad to raise her up some.

BEER30

Has the rear suspension been altered. How much air in the rear shock?

I just replaced the rear tire, plus I adjusted the air in both front and rear shocks this evening and noticed a much smoother ride home.

Is your wife petite? The empty space under the back rest caused my wife to be a little bit uncomfortable on long rides. She will sometimes place a small jacket/sweater in the empty spot for lower lumbar support as well as added seat pad to raise her up some.

BEER30

my wife is petite so that might be a good thought. i did put on the new tire but the bike is new to us so she can't compare. Also, adjusting the rear shock pressure may be helpful. thanks.