IGNORED

Road King Slip Ons

Hey Ya,

Got some questions about Road King Slip Ons. I bought a set of RK Slipons from the HD dealer that came off a 2010 bike. When I got home with them I looked in the tubes and the baffles are different. I called the salesman and he said all the newer models were that way. So I guess I have to buy two sets to get a matching pair? I have the brackets to mount them, but don't know what type of clamps ya are talking about. The clamps that hold the RSV slipons won't work? Thanks.

Glenn

Guest scarylarry
Anything after 1997 or 1998 has a catylitic converter in them. Thats why one looks different. I don't think you'll be satisfied with them. (JMO) The best ones to get will have 96A stamped on them.

C.R.

I was thinking anything after 07 had the CAT...I have a undrilled 98A, I'll look alomost certain no CAT though..

Called my local HD dealer. Parts manage says they went to CAT mufflers on all touring bikes in 07 when they went to the 96 CI engine. That was also the year they went to EFI across the board, even on the Sportsters. He also said that touring HD's sold in CA had CAT mufflers since 1998. In between 98 and 07, it's hit-or-miss, at least according to him.

I have HK's on my and love them. I did some research and found that a matched set were different inside. There are different part numbers but. nonetheless they are a set. I wouldn't change a thing about them. So just bolt them on and enjoy the ride.:Venture:

Thanks everyone for the input. Some things I found out were that 2010 HD (touring models) and newer have the cat converter in the header tubes where they come together under the bike. They no longer have them in the slipons. The EPA learned pretty quick that most HD riders will change out those slipons before they even leave the dealership. So, now you have to change out the entire exhaust system, which most HD riders do anywany, now. Also, the slipons do look different down the tubes but should give an even exhaust. Thanks again,

Glenn

I just tried installing a set of RKs on my bike, newer ones and they won't slide up the pipe far enough like the other ones I have.. dang. Is that also part of the problem if you get the newer slipons??

They are all that way. That's wy you use the HD clamp.....to hide the gap

They are all that way. That's wy you use the HD clamp.....to hide the gap

Understood but I meant I cannot slide the slipon up high enough onto the pipe so that the rear mounts will work.. I can't see what might be obstructing it or preventing it from going in deep enough. I tapped it with a rubber mallet and flat block of wood to get it up there but to no avail.. All other slipons I had before worked like a charm but not these.. There are brand new..

I typically ride with my Rineharts on the bike but next month planning a long road trip and wanted quieter pipes to reduce noise fatigue just for this trip.. now hunting for alternatives..

I've heard this report a number of times on the newer RK Mufflers. Apparently there is a weld bead or something on the inside that prevents them from sliding on as far as the older ones did. Most have reported getting them on far enough for the mounts to work though.

Well, we got the RK slipons installed on my cousin's RSV and also did the heat shield install that Freebird wrote about in the Tech section (Thanks Freebird). The slipons were off a 2010 Road King. After reading about some people having problems slipping them on, I went to Harbor Freight and bought a muffler spreader/pipe spreader ($9.99 plus tax) and spread the mufflers before we put them on. And it worked. They slipped on about as easily as the stock RSV slipons. We did use a wooden 2x2 and rubber mallet to tap the slipons into postion, but they slid rather easily. No problems. And the sound. They sound GREAT! My cousin is thrilled with the sound they make. At idle, it does have a deep rumble sound kinda like a V-8 engine with glass packs, and at cruise speed they are still quite enough to hear your radio speakers very good, but still hear a good rumble sound. My cousin did a couple "ride bys" at 60 MPH so I could hear them and then I did a couple for him. He's very satisfied with the sound and I gotta tell ya, it does sound good. And Thanks to RBurkeen, who gave us the brackets for the rear mount.

Glenn

GROAN... I just discovered what was blocking up my road king slip ons from installing properly on my RSV..

The clamps that I have are those fancy ones, all chromed and such, but had a shoulder in side which prevents the slip ons from coming up higher on the pipe.. So the only way to make them work is by using one of those ugly clamps that simply wrap around the outside of the slip ons neck..

At least the problem is solved.. but begs to question why the previous RK slip ons fit and why my current Rineharts fit as well with the current set up, but not the last two new sets of RK slip ons.. weird.

• 2 months later...
Thanks everyone for the input. Some things I found out were that 2010 HD (touring models) and newer have the cat converter in the header tubes where they come together under the bike. They no longer have them in the slipons. The EPA learned pretty quick that most HD riders will change out those slipons before they even leave the dealership. So, now you have to change out the entire exhaust system, which most HD riders do anywany, now. Also, the slipons do look different down the tubes but should give an even exhaust. Thanks again,

Glenn

So 2010 or 11 will be cat-less??? Cool...Looking for a set as I type...

Well I got the Bubs off...Now polishing up the ends where they will slip together...May need to try and spread the RKs a tad to get them on enough for the wider clamps...Sure hope they sound better than burnt baffle Bubs!!!

Edited by NYred
spelling