IGNORED

Rear coils have a new home.

Got the rear coil pair relocated. There wasn't room for them up front any more due to the repositioned battery box.

They look close to head and they are, less than an inch above. But this was the best I could come up with. Other decent spot put them close to the rear header pipes.

This takes care of the main relocation of the parts at least.

Battery box post is at link, if you want to see it.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58658

Gary

If your coils don't survive the heat look into installing 2009-2010 V-Max coil packs. I just got a 1986 V-Max and the PO had installed them , it frees up lost of room under the seat. It looks like a kit he got somewhere because all the wiring looks factory made. The only modification was longer wires to connect the new coils to the igniton box.

Colis look like this.

Z

If your coils don't survive the heat look into installing 2009-2010 V-Max coil packs. I just got a 1986 V-Max and the PO had installed them , it frees up lost of room under the seat. It looks like a kit he got somewhere because all the wiring looks factory made. The only modification was longer wires to connect the new coils to the igniton box.

Colis look like this.

Z

Picture didn't come through.

I have another option which is a 'Coil Over Plug' or COP's. The coil is part of the spark plug boot.

Gary

Gary, the '09 VMAX has a COP-System. Pic showed up here also.

I never checked for the Resistances involved, but i tend to believe just extending the Wires would kill a stock TCI, because of the Power involved.

That may different with your Ignitech Brainbox, but i'd sure take some Amp-Measurements before frying the Computer.

Picture is showing now.

That is the other option I have.

I'll run a new pair of wires to the rear coils from the Ignitech TCI.

I have the TCI located in the radio compartment, so the new run won't be much different than going to the original location.

I bought a couple of the module plugs and a bunch of pins from Ignitech, I wanted to remove the jumper harness they supply with the unit. Looks lie a good time to do that.

Thanks for the info on lead length. !!

:thumbsup2:

Gary

I don't know about the compatability with the Venture ignition but my V-Max still has the stock ignition box and it is running the COP coils from a newer V-Max.

I just checked the Data ...

1Gen Vmax Coils should be at 2.43 to 2.97 Ohm (12V/2.43 Ohm = 4.96 A)

2Gen VMAX Coils should be at 1.19 to 1.61 Ohm (12V/1.19 Ohm = 10.08 A)

Those 2Gen COPS suck a Lot more Amps out of a stock 1Gen Unit, most likely to a Point where the Circuits inside the TCI will die a waely and overheated Death.

I'd willing to bet some Money there's some Resistance involved, be it a Resistor somewhere or even the Wire itself is a Resistor. Or there's a external transistorized Power Device which makes up for the Difference of twice the normal Current.

I should add, those calculated Values are based on pure DC.

Since this "DC" is triggered at a fast Rate, one should calculate with AC Data too, but since nobody (at least i never heard, read or self meeasured Data in this Area) knows cos(phi) of those Coils, a precise Measurement of the actual Current flowing is necessary.

I may be getting a set of Denso COPS from a 2007 CBR 1000.

Anyone know what ohms these would be?

The Ignitech module has a setting in it for coil ohms.

It could be that I would not need to have a resistor in the COP's circuit.

Below is cut from Ignitech manual.

Dwell - sets excitation of induction coils

Short - for coils with resistance lower than 2 ohms.

dwell time 1 ms with the dynamic addition 12%.

Long - for coils with a resistance greater than 2 ohms.

dwell time 3ms with the dynamic addition 12%.

Manual - the ability to manually determining the excitation time

Auto - automatic dwell time determination. Unit determines optimal dwell time by measure dynamic current in channel 1. With that choice the spark-coil has to be connected to channel 1.

Second picture is what a COP unit looks like in a VMax head for a size relationship.

Gary

COPS.jpg