Ok well I got into the rear of my 83. Everything looked pretty good. Had a buddy blast off the paint around the welds and no cracks. One weird part was when I took the covers off the swing-arm there were grease zerts there, thought in 83 they did not have them. The crossmember that the shock mounts to is very heavy with gussets in place, has it already been modified and strengthened? Another question is how much grease do you need to pump into the drive shaft grease zert? Everything looked really good so I will be putting it back together pretty much as is and just putting new bearings in the rear wheel. I will also have the rear rebalanced. Shaun

Ok well I got into the rear of my 83. Everything looked pretty good. Had a buddy blast off the paint around the welds and no cracks. One weird part was when I took the covers off the swing-arm there were grease zerts there, thought in 83 they did not have them. The crossmember that the shock mounts to is very heavy with gussets in place, has it already been modified and strengthened? Another question is how much grease do you need to pump into the drive shaft grease zert? Everything looked really good so I will be putting it back together pretty much as is and just putting new bearings in the rear wheel. I will also have the rear rebalanced. Shaun

Don't waste your time pumping grease into the driveshaft grease zerk ... it won't get where it needs to go...you'lll just fill up the tube with a whole lotta grease. You need to manually grease those splines (both forward and aft) and a good grease to use here is Moly 60.

(wonder how I know this)

The swingarm zerks were probably installed by a former owner.

• 1 month later...

No pictures of it, but the paint work is already peeling off so when it comes apart to redo the paint I will get pics. I have figured out that all the grease zerts I found were added by the PO, kinda nice having them but they are all in the wrong places as they do not do much good in getting grease where I need it. Until I can get new exhaust gaskets in it she is parked, finally blew the right rear out and it started to miss from time to time on that cylinder as well. Will have it repaired in no time, just have to get the parts. Shaun