IGNORED

Wind in your face...

Monty

I just don't get it. Maybe it's an age thing? Maybe someone can explain it to me, without getting into an arguing match.

I see thread after thread about how the wind is touching someone, and they want to get it off. Gargantuan windshields, upper deflectors, lower deflectors, side deflectors, leg deflectors...etc...

Part of riding a motorcycle is that feeling of freedom, and getting a little wind in your face. Without the wind, it seems like you might as well be in a cage.

I don't want a pi$$ing match. I just thought I might be able to discuss this with friends, and maybe understand it a little better, that's all.:beer:

This is the great thing about this country, if you don't want to ride a bike with a windshield, don't ride one. Personally, I like the windshield on my 1st gen and the last time I rode a bike any distance at highway speeds without a windshield, I was amazed as to how tired I was.

I feel I get plenty of wind and can enjoy everything around me a lot better with a windshield.

But, if you want to ride without one, that is fine with me.

RandyA

Part of riding a motorcycle is that feeling of freedom, and getting a little wind in your face. Without the wind, it seems like you might as well be in a cage.

:beer:

I prefer to look over the windshield, as I do ride in the rain (downpours) & want to see the road in those conditions. Most of the wind is deflected, but I don't need to try & hang on, as if I didn't have a windshield on. I have done 80 mph test runs, with the windshield still off, had to hang on to stay in the seat.

:2cents:

Think of a bell shaped curve of "wind preference". On one end is "naked skydiving" (ultimate wind exposure and a really bad visual). On the other end is "encased in a casket" (no wind exposure and not really desirable). Everyone's preference for wind exposure will fall somewhere between those two extremes on the bell shaped curve. One may want a little more, another a little less. It's all a matter of degrees. We can ride without a windshield, with one, with or without a helmet (not starting a helmet discussion), half helmet, full, open face, closed, etc. Temperature is a factor - below freezing I want to be a bit more covered, in the heat of summer less covered. So I think people are expressing personal preferences and opinions. And that's great.

And oh yeah - one other reason not to sky dive naked, once your chute opens, you're just dangling.

Happy Friday

Personally, I've always loved the "wind in face" feeling on a motorcycle. However, I just discovered that when I went down to an 8" windshield on my RSV that, while the wind was nice, the air current directed a large amount of bugs (bees) directly at my face. Still undecided on which shield I'm going to use, may just switch back and forth based on my mood.

Not sure you ever can make everyone happy. I started with stock, then cut it down 3 to 4 inches and really liked that. Then change rear links to raise the back up 1 inch which seemed to change the air some. Still didn't bother me, but my wife absolutly hated it. Next was the extra high / wide F4 with vent. Great windsheild and gives a good air pocket and the wife loves it. Also pretty good when its cold. With that said, its getting warm and I'm thinking of getting a new F4 with a -2 inch height for the warm weather when I'm riding alone and just put the taller one on when my wife goes along. It might be worth the time to change back and forth just to keep the back side noise down.

Of course, you didn't even mention fuel mileage and how we loose 3 to maybe 5 mpg by running the oversized sheild.

I like some air, but like I said, just can't make everyone happy, even me I guess!

I never owned a bike with a windshield till I bought a Suzuki and put one on it. For me it was all about that certain comfort level without feeling beat to death on long rides, especially on the highway. Currently I have a extra tall Clearview w/vent. While I would prefer a shorter shield to see over, my pillon passenger says otherwise. So it's all about keeping momma happy too.

Even with a windshield/fairing combo I still feel plenty of circulating air. It's just not blasting on me constantly.

Larry

Its like age progression. When we were younger we thought a windshield was for old farts, along with saddlebags, trunk bags, floorboards, etc. A rigid frame or struts was manly! Open pipes too. Now that were older we appreciate these old fart bikes. Back then I rode all over the NE without a shield and thought it was great, bugs and all. Now I wont go without a shield, ever. Especially during love bug season here.

:smile5:

When I was younger I don't remember the wind bothering me. Now I hate it. I don't like the popping in my ears with a short shield. For the most part I want a comfortable ride without all the buffeting or loud air rushing over a full face helmet. The wind in my face freedom never made since to me. Riding down the road feeling a tolerable amount of air and the smell of the outdoors, a well tuned engine, and a certain degree of comfort is my freedom.

After all the adjustments on my rstd, I've come to realize the stock set up is the best. I also caught on to why folks wear a vest, excellent wind protection.

Edited by jfoster

Having ridden since 1959, I had an aversion to windshields. They were for the old Harley riders. In 1967 while on tour through Canada I found that the mosquitoes there were huge and numerous. I stopped at a small bike shop in Pembrooke (spelling?) Ontario. I had a 66 Triumph Bonneville and really needed relief from these bugs. The owner had an old screen which we cobbled up on my bike. I became a believer then. No more wind in my face!!!

:farmer:

The one I use is a 14" narrow F4 shield with vent. It's short enough that I can look over it, while still sending the rain up and over me. I get a little wind, but I like it. My wife says it is fine also. She remembers what it's like to ride back there with no windshield, and didn't like that a bit. This 14" seems to suit both of us just fine.

Edited by Monty

This is my first bike with a windshield.. Why did I wait so long!! We get crazy wind here in NE and gravel and grain bits kind of hurt. I can ride 50 miles without feeling like a bobble head. Hope to make this the year I ride the most miles ever in. The last bike(99 Vmax) had 21k on it when I sold it. Had it for 8 years. Shouldn't be too hard to top that.

I thought I would get a low shield when I bought this Venture. Now I'm thinking wider and taller with the vent. Thats still wind in the face right??

Way way back in another life when I actually believed that I was a BAB, I never dreamed on riding with a windshield. You know, Bugs on the teeth were the sign of a happy biker.

Then I got my retirement bike, 86 VR Royale with all the bells and whistles.

Will never go back to a neeked scoot.

:mytruck:

Well, Monty, my feelings on the matter are yes I enjoy the feeling of no helmet, no windshield, and a loud and fast ride but not all the time!! Other times I enjoy the openness of a motorcycle but without the annoince of constant wind, especially on long trips!! I guess it's a matter of what mood I happen to be in at the time! Even with windshields, wind deflectors, and even a full face helmet NOOOOO way does it feel like I'm in a cage!!! I still feel out in the open and unrestricted, especially by a seat belt.

When I experience the true wind in the face effect yes I feel truly free but also feel like a renegade going for broke with no regard as to if I live or die. Very nice free feeling but not a lifestile I choose to be permanant.

Soooo, ride on my friend, ride on! As long as you are happy and feel good about it I will defend to the death your right to do so!!!

My Ventures are the first bikes I have ever owned with a wind shield, I still have a bike with no shield and I enjoy riding it on a warm summer day, but I could never put the miles on that bike that I can with my venture on a long trip. With no shield you get clean air pushing straight at you, with the wrong size shield you get more buffetting and wind noise then no shield at all. I tried cutting an old shield down to about 6" thought it really looked cool, it lasted about 10 min on my bike, buffetting was terrible, I have the biggest clearveiw because it gives the best air protection for my wife, the happier she is the more she wants to ride. Craig

Think of a bell shaped curve of "wind preference". On one end is "naked skydiving" (ultimate wind exposure and a really bad visual). On the other end is "encased in a casket" (no wind exposure and not really desirable). Everyone's preference for wind exposure will fall somewhere between those two extremes on the bell shaped curve. One may want a little more, another a little less. It's all a matter of degrees. We can ride without a windshield, with one, with or without a helmet (not starting a helmet discussion), half helmet, full, open face, closed, etc. Temperature is a factor - below freezing I want to be a bit more covered, in the heat of summer less covered. So I think people are expressing personal preferences and opinions. And that's great.

And oh yeah - one other reason not to sky dive naked, once your chute opens, you're just dangling.

Happy Friday

There is no discussion to be had about crash helmets. If you ride without one you are stupid ... End.

Wind preference is simply a preference.

Twigg, name calling and personal attacks have no place here. This is a friendly discussion.

Let me rephrase that ...

People who ride without crash helmets would be breaking very good laws in most States and countries. Laws put there to protect people who lack good decision making skills, from themselves.

I know some donMt like that. Tough. I don't like subsidising your health care or providing benefits for the family you leave behind when you smear yourself across the road.

Wear a crash helmet. One day, your wife, kids, grandbabies might just thank you for it.

Monty is right. We have been down this road before. While most of us here DO wear helmets when we ride, I think that most also agree that it is the right of those who live in states that don't require them to make their own decisions. I may not agree with a person's decision but I respect their right to make it and we are not going to resort to name calling and hateful discussion about it here.

Thats what I like about my FJR's Electric Windshield when travelling a 60 mph I have the windshield lifted where I can lift the shield from full coverage helmet and enjoy feel the beautiful wind velocity on my face and not get blown off the scoot or get tired and when I want to get heavy wind resistance than the windshield and helmet shield gets lowered

I take the windshield off my RSTD for warm weather day trips.

I didn't own a motorcycle with windshield until 10 years ago. But now protection from constant wind and occassional rain makes the long trips more enjoyable. I'm soft, I know.

I like the shield up on my full face helmet, but if my eyes water, then can flip it down.

Twigg, name calling and personal attacks have no place here. This is a friendly discussion.

Monty is right. We have been down this road before. While most of us here DO wear helmets when we ride, I think that most also agree that it is the right of those who live in states that don't require them to make their own decisions. I may not agree with a person's decision but I respect their right to make it and we are not going to resort to name calling and hateful discussion about it here.

Well Said...... I for one like the windsheild now that i'm older. I have the shorter Show Chrome sheild which is enough protection. I also love short trip around town without a helmet when i'm in a state that doesn't require one.

BTW... I'm fully insured and I think I'm worth more dead the alive (LOL). :stirthepot: Wife and daughter has put the Sleeperhawks Mechanic in charge to inform them if they can go on a shopping spree..:whistling: :rotfl::rotfl::crackup::crackup: