IGNORED

Controlling the wind on a Goldwing

Midrsv

There was some discussion in another thread about making the Goldwing more comfortable from a wind buffeting standpoint and I thought it would be beneficial to break it out into dedicated thread.

It was suggested to change the windshield to a taller and wider windshield like the F4 Customs +4 (4 inches taller than stock) and to also install air wings under the mirrors.

I've looked at the F4 web site and there are conflicting statements on that site regarding maintaining adjustability with the taller and wider shield. Does anyone know if there is any adjustability with the +4 shield. It probably doesn't matter to me because I would be looking through it anyway.

Another shield option I am considering is the Clearview shield. The F4 shield is nearly $400. Clearview offers shields that are 3 inches wider and up to 5 inches taller and they state that the adjustability is maintained. They are priced at about $220. Would they work as well as the F4+4?

Any other suggestions?

Dennis

I can't help much. I like the fact I can see over the shield. but in the winter I can definatly see the advantage to wind wings. Kuriakin (sp) even make a shield for behind the passenger chair. (Yes it is more than a seat, passenger has it better than the pilot). I can't speak to the effectivness of any of them tho. Tom is probably the go to guy on this one.

Guest my14car

Most say the F4 is a great windshield gives the passenger the best protection out there. A lot of riders like it due to its durability not to scratch and you can use regular cleaners like windex. One of the down sides is you will lose about 4 miles to the gallon on fuel most larger windshields will do this. We all know you get what you pay for the F 4 is on of the most popular and well tested shields out there.

Baker Wings do a great job also i have them and love them. Will be getting a F4 myself down the road. Heres some more info on wind buffering.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278493&highlight=Windshields

When riding on interstate, I open my windshield vent "ONE to TWO" clicks only, so that the air comes through the windshield then blows straight upward towards the top of, and over, my helmet..not into my face or chest..I also raise the windshield (when on interstae long rides) to where the top edge of the windsield is just above my forehead level where I can not see over it. Again, my opinon...works well for me ...what else can I say...

I have the adjustable clear baker wings under both mirrors, and a set of adjustable clear baker wings on boths sides of the bike outside edge of both side pockets which when turned outward seem to effectively deflect the air away from me, but please note that I have never rode a GW 1800 without baker wings to honestly tell the difference..

Mine came with the baker wings and air vent when I bought it.

When in city riding or under 60mph riding, I lower the windshield and open the windshield vent full open..pointing it straight at me..and if it is really hot outside, I will turn side baker wings to deflect air towards me. I find if I ride 70mph or more with side wings turned towards me where air hits me, it is causes way to much air buffeting for me..

I have never tried a larger windshield or any other mods for air buffeting because the above explaination of windshled height and air vent adjustments has been enough to always satisfy me.

Sorry I cant be of much more help Dennis..Good luck in finding "your" satisfaction.

With windshields, I prefer the F4, because it is made from shatterproof plexiglass. The clearview can shatter when struck with an object, and it doesn't take much. I have a shattered Clearview in my shed, and a new F4 on the bike. I feel better.

Hope this helps.

I've got a set of the Honda "wings" that mount on either side of the windshield and pivot. In hot weather I open the vent and turn both wings to direct air back toward me. Cold weather I rotate the wings to block air flow and close the vent. I keep the shield height set where I can just look over it. That keeps the airflow out of my face and with either my Nolan 102 or 43 I get a quiet ride with very little air turbulance. I'm only into the Wing since last fall, but thus far this has worked well in temps from 90 down into the upper teens. FWIW I'm 5'11", 185lbs.

You might want to take a look at Tulsa Enterprises tall windshield. My '07 GL1800 has one that was installed by the PO. I have to look through it, but my passenger says much less buffetting than on the RSV.

I bought a V-stream special edition Quantum shortly after buying my Wing. I did a lot of research and decided on this one for the aerodynamic shape, constructed of 6mm polycarbonate (practically indestructible), 3 year guarantee against breakage, comes with a built in vent and as a bonus...it looks cool because of its distinctive shape.

Its shape helps to direct airflow to the sides rather than over the top. And the additional thickness gives it superb rigidity at highway speeds where thinner shields have a tendency to flex with wind gusts. The polycarbonate is highly scratch resistant...much more so than acrylic.

I've been very satisfied with the performance of this shield. Like others, I keep it at its highest setting only when riding the slab and the lowest setting at all other times. I'm 5'10" and can just see over the top at the highest setting and wind buffeting has never been a problem.

At nearly $400 retail, it's on the high end of the spectrum price wise, but you can find deals on them (only paid $280 for mine). There is also a thinner 4mm version available for a lower price. For me, having 50% more material between me and a rock or bird was worth the additional cost.

OK, made the decision today and ordered the F4+4 windshield. I'm going after this wind problem in steps. First the shield and if that doesn't fix it I'll try adding hand wings.

I'll keep you posted on how the shield does.

Dennis

OK, made the decision today and ordered the F4+4 windshield. I'm going after this wind problem in steps. First the shield and if that doesn't fix it I'll try adding hand wings.

I'll keep you posted on how the shield does.

Dennis

Im telling you the wind wings under the mirror are needed..you are going to be surprised at how much they cut out the wind..My wife wont even ride with me unless they are closed..yes it blocks that much wind.

Im telling you the wind wings under the mirror are needed..you are going to be surprised at how much they cut out the wind..My wife wont even ride with me unless they are closed..yes it blocks that much wind.

Tom,

Which mirror wings do you use? I know Show Chrome and Baker make them.

Dennis

I installed the F4+4 windshield this evening and took it out for a few miles. I ran it up to 95 and the wind buffeting around my head is gone. It feels great at my normal cruise speed of 70 to 75 so I really don't think I'll need to add anything else unless my wife decides otherwise. That is a big windshield. I'll probably lose a few MPG with it but that's OK as long as I'm comfortable.

Dennis

Glad you like it Dennis!!

I can almost guarantee that when (if) the temps hit 90 degrees, you'll be too warm behind that shield. And that is when you'll start wishing you had the hand wings so you can direct the airblast in toward you. Really saves your bacon when the sweltering starts.

Joe

• 2 years later...

Everything I read about the buffeting, wind problems for the passenger, says to go with a bigger windshield or add more wind deflectors. Found the fix. I cut 9 inches off my windshield so the top of the windshield is in line with my chin.

Now riding at interstate speeds no more eddies that were like slaps in the face. The wind goes up over my head and my. My passengers hair goes back (instead of forward).

I think my bike looks sportier, I can see much better, and my passenger doesn't hate the wing. The dead air pocket from the big windshield is gone and its like riding a motorcycle again.

Harry

2002 Goldwing 1800

Because I haven't ridden is normal weather yet, south Florida has been in wind & rain, for the past two weeks. we're going into Hurricane season. But, we rode home just in front of a nasty storm Saturday, with hammering winds, sucking into the storm, I could not control the bike any faster than 55 mph. And, Blown from one lane to the other, with gusts. I've seen Goldwings with Second windshields for passengers. who makes them?

Because I haven't ridden is normal weather yet, south Florida has been in wind & rain, for the past two weeks. we're going into Hurricane season. But, we rode home just in front of a nasty storm Saturday, with hammering winds, sucking into the storm, I could not control the bike any faster than 55 mph. And, Blown from one lane to the other, with gusts. I've seen Goldwings with Second windshields for passengers. who makes them?

Those are made by Kuryakyn. I've not read much good about them from people who have tried them....

Joe