IGNORED

So,

Black Owl

What happens when you put gasoline into a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel?

:mytruck:

Short answer....It won't run. Not enough heat to ignite gasoline.

Drain the tank, change the filters, add conditioner. It should be fine. Its great fun when a highway truck comes in with 500 liters or more of gasoline in the tank.:rotf:

edit:

(After a quick google) you should have a high presser common rail. If it ran till it quit you could have an issue getting it started again. (gas in the rail) You may have to drain and bleed the rail. ick.

Edited by scotty

Guest scarylarry

How much gas did you put in there and how much diesel was already in the tank..

I have added 1 gallon of gas to semi's to help the power and clean the injectors out

It will ping knock rattle and be low on power. You don't want to run it any farther than you have to before you drain the tank and put diesel in it. I have drained many tanks of gas diesel mix from customers vehicles and have never seen it do engine damage.

I've had an occasional brainfart and started putting gas in my 3500. never any serious amount, just swapped pumps and continued filling up with diesel. As a non mechanic i would say you'd bve OK if you only added a gallon or so on a 50 gal tank

Yeah, destruction if you run it. Tell your friend to get out his wallet and call a tow truck. Gotta drop the tank and start over. My brother did it once but was smart enough not to start it when he realized what he'd done. :bawling:

I used to use it to help start my wrecker during the winter before I replaced all the dead glow plugs and got two new 1100cca batteries. It worked better than ether. But it did make the engine knock hard and the whole truck would rock pretty good until she warmed up. It just took a tiny squirt down the intake. To much and the engine wouldn't turn over so well.

Truck/Semi drivers use gasoline in their fuel during colder weather to help reduce gelling and help starting. I don't recall what the ratio was though.

Bill

Not my vehicle. Just trying to get some info reference a conversation with a shop technician that appears to be functioning WHUA.

So, again, does anyone know What Happens when you put gasoline in a diesel?

The article posted by Condor is right on the money; which is why I asked the pertinent questions of how much gasoline and how much has the truck been driven with the gasoline/diesel mixture. The details make all the difference in the world.

A one time use of a little gasoline in a lot of diesel will have few, if any, perceptible affects. A lot of gasoline in a little diesel will have serious to catastrophic results. A little gasoline in a lot of diesel used over a lot of miles will have a negative, (as in not good), affect.

Years ago, with high sulfur diesel, a person could get away with a light gas/diesel mixture, but not today.:backinmyday: