IGNORED

How do you have your Yamaha driving lights set up?

I had the local stealer install the Yamaha driving lights. I had them wire the lights so they are on all the time except when the high beam is on. They didn't install the switch.

So now I'm thinking is that practical or even safe? I ride at night and want as much light as possible on the road. I replaced the stock headlight bulb with a PIAA intense white. I'm wondering if I should re-wire them so they are relayed through a switch and I can turn them on and off regardless of whether or not the headlight is on low or high beam. How do you run your driving lights?

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Chris in Red Deer, AB

Mine get run day or night but I did install a relay & switch in the circuit so I can shut them off when parked and idling. My low beam is set up the same way so if both switches are off only the parking/running lights are on with the bike running.

I run the spots even when I have high beam on as well. Usually this is only at night on a country road.

Larry

I ride with mine on all the time (LED) but have them on a separate circuit on a switch and relay.

The previous owner had them wired in to the headlight system and it almost cost me my life one dark night on the back road.

The used bike was new to me and the previous owner wiring job was horribly done and the cabling was routed in such a manner that it would get cut and shorted out against the fork stops. I couldn't see this at the time but one night on the back road, all of a sudden in the middle of a tight turn the headlights AND highway lights went off at the same time.. BOOM total darkness.. and I knew there was a guardrail coming up.. I immediately put on the 4 way flashers and surprisingly enough it gave me enough on / off / on light to bring the bike to a safe stop.. a quick fuze change and I got the bike home just as the lights went out again when pulling down my street..

I got the wiring sorted out and move the highway lights onto their own separate electrical circuit so that if the headlight went out, I'd still have lighting..

My are set up with a switch that the PO mounted next to the acc outlet. I leave them on all the time, but they really don't help much at night time. The light only beams out about 20 feet on front of me a can see no way to adjust them.

Mine are wired up with a switch and if the switch is on they will only be on with the high beam and off with the low beam. If the switch is off they do not ever turn on.

They are wired up with a relay that is triggered by the high beam circuit so the power draw comes straight from the battery.

Yes, I do like to have lots of light but I certainly do not want some oncoming vehicle to be blinded by my lights at night. I usually run with my high beam on as well as the lamps during the day, especially if it is gray-ish out.

Do what you are comfortable with - it isn't hard to install a switch if you decide later you want to have them switched instead.

My are set up with a switch that the PO mounted next to the acc outlet. I leave them on all the time, but they really don't help much at night time. The light only beams out about 20 feet on front of me a can see no way to adjust them.

They are adjustable, but a PITA. You have to open them up, loosen the mounting bolt(s) and adjust the aim. Once you get them aimed the way you want them, tighten them down and close them up.

PO of my bike had dealer install driving lights and bar. On and off with headlight/ignition. They put a switch next to the power outlet but I've never turned them off. I don't think the extra light is the only thing to consider. With only a headlight on cagers have a harder time judging how far away you are from them. They aren't very accurate determining our distance based on the "size" of our image. It's why after accidents you frequently hear that "the bike came out of nowhere" or "must have been speeding cause he was there in an instant" (and yeah, bikes speed - but not all the time). A single point of light doesn't trigger depth perception and ability to judge distance the way three points of light do. So to me the driving lights should stay on all the time. But definitely should be connected via a relay.

I put mine on an aftermarket illuminated rocker switch so I can verify they are on during the day. I only switched them for times when I'm using something electrical while not running so the battery wouldn't run down as fast.

Yes, a relay is a good idea...

That is how I have set up also, but I have mine adjusted, but still not a lot of help at night,, Wished I could find a better set that would fit in housing with good down the road light.

I have mine on a switch with a relay. I have my lights set rather high because I want to see at night but they are so high I need to turn them off if there is oncoming traffic. I can flash them at someone if I need to though.

I do run them full time during the day so the cages can see me and I know they do see me because they flash their headlights at me once in a while because the lights are set so high.

Another thing that bugs me is if I'm riding with someone that has their running lights on all the time at night their lights tend to blind me through the mirrors even if they are set low especially if we are riding out in the country where it is very dark. This is more pronounced at stop signs etc.

If I told you how I switch them that would probably start a whole other thread.:whistling:

Just my :2cents:

BOO

When I first put mine on, I installed a relay and set them up to be on with the low beam only. Yesterday I installed LED passing lamps and rewired the circut so they will be on all the time. However I fear the LEDs will be brighter that the headlight.. LOL :dancefool:

I have mine set up on a separate switch, I can then turn them off or on at will, I can also use them to do a battery check in some far off parking lot,,, but that is another story.

I run mine day and night and the only time I use my low beams is when somebody is approaching me at night. I like to be seen,,,, I don't want to be aggravating, but to be seen is paramount. Often time when I see a MC coming towards me in the daytime with their low beam on, it says nothing to me, it's just another color of the bike, but when I see one coming with the high beam on I have no problem noticing their presence. That's the point I like to make to anybody approaching me. I need to be seen, and noticed and I like to tell them that I've paid for the piece of road that I'm on and so have a right to travel on my way uninterrupted.

PO of my bike had dealer install driving lights and bar. On and off with headlight/ignition. They put a switch next to the power outlet but I've never turned them off. I don't think the extra light is the only thing to consider. With only a headlight on cagers have a harder time judging how far away you are from them. They aren't very accurate determining our distance based on the "size" of our image. It's why after accidents you frequently hear that "the bike came out of nowhere" or "must have been speeding cause he was there in an instant" (and yeah, bikes speed - but not all the time). A single point of light doesn't trigger depth perception and ability to judge distance the way three points of light do. So to me the driving lights should stay on all the time. But definitely should be connected via a relay.

This is important!

It is even more important if you ride a bike with twin headlights ... Gold Wing, etc.

Car and truck drivers are actually very good at judging distance from two point light sources. The become good because the brain registers patterns.

Two lights, close together is a car or truck some distance away .... The same lights far apart is the same vehicle much closer.

A motorcycle has it's lights close together by default, and you can see where this is going ....

A very good arrangement for bikers is a single headlight with twin driving lamps above or below the plane of the headlight. This forms a triangle which is an unusual pattern, guaranteed to get the attention even of drivers in Tulsa. Because the pattern is unusual, the brain registers it as a potential danger, and they pay more attention, even in daylight.

Headlight modulators perform a similar function.

You may want to check with your state laws on this issue..

Here in the state of Wisconsin it clearly states that when your HI beams are on all aux lights must go off.... I know very dumb, but it could be the reason the dealer set yours up like that

Correct me if I am wrong .... but if your bike complies with the regs. in it's home State, then it complies in States it is visiting too .... sucks if you live in Wisconsin, but there are probably other benefits there :)

I agree with Jim on checking with what the State regulations are in the state you live in. I am pretty sure that there are a lot of states out there that require all auxiliary lights be off with the high beams. That is why when you are in your car or truck that has fog/driving lights, you hit the high beams and the auxiliary lights go out.

I run mine all the time even though in NY they have that same rule.. I also have the factory switch hooked up so I an turn them off when ever I want.. but if you do that and it is against the regs in your state.. be aware you may be helping to fund that annual policeman's ball :)

3 rules about driving lights... 1. Relay 2. Relay 3. Relay.. Hooking them up directly to your headlight circuit causes a potential overload to your circuit and increases your chances of blowing a fuse and may take away power to your headlight.. I know some have it wired directly and have no problems... by why risk it? Also I recommend you power the relay with a keyed power source other than your headlight like your radio,,, so if you do blow a headlight fuse you still have your driving lights to get to a safe lighted place to change out the fuse..

Also hook up a switch to the lights.. If you ever get into a weak batter or charging system problem like most of us with any kind of mileage have.. It is good to be able to shut them off or if you're riding behind someone that you don't want to blind..

The Law: I think the hi beam driving/fog light must be off is a law in most states and probably all.. But has anybody ever heard of someone getting a ticket for this?? I doubt 1/2 the cops know this law or really care in the real world.. That being said... I have noticed on my bike.. I run a Silverstar Ultra headlight and 55W H-3 passing lamps which all are very bright.. That when I run my Hi beams and passing lamps together I don't see down the road where my hi beams are shining as well as when my passing lamps are off... The brightness of my passing lamps does take away from long range vision..

Type of passing lamp.. I think the Yamaha RSV sealed beam passing lamps suck.. I've owned flashlights with more candlepower than these... usually have to reach around the fairing and stick your hand in front of one to see if they're on at night.. waste of money IMHO.. I got passing lamps for a V-star or Road stars that use a H-3 bulbs.. Now if you don't have a higher output stator you probably want to stick with the 35W bulbs cuz the 55W ones will tax your charging system..

Well I guess I beat this thing to death.. that's all I got..

Thanks for all the comments and information. I do have the high output stator so I might see if I can find some 55 watt sealed beams that will fit the Yamaha bracket.

Does anyone know of a cross-referenced 55 watt sealed beam unit that fits?

The stock Yamaha sealed units are Wagner 4449 12.8 volt 30 watt sealed unit.

I know this because I replaced one of mine yesterday.

I replaced it with a sealed unit from Canadian Tire a GE 4411 12 volt 35

Chris in Red Deer, AB

When I first put mine on, I installed a relay and set them up to be on with the low beam only. Yesterday I installed LED passing lamps and rewired the circut so they will be on all the time. However I fear the LEDs will be brighter that the headlight.. LOL :dancefool:

Steve - which LEDs did you install? Thanks

These are similar to my passing lamps.. scored them on ebay for like 50 bucks... They are NOT sealed beams tho.. they use a H-3 bulb..

http://www.cars-bikes.eu/contents/media/2131-1.jpg

http://www.adjureinc.com/enlarge.html?http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-38432223971026_2151_5306085http://www.adjureinc.com/enlarge.html?http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-38432223971026_2151_5306085

The aux. lamp on with the High Beam is a bit of an oddity as regards the law.

First ... You generally only use High Beam when there is no one else around. Night, deer country when you need to keep a close eye on the sides of the road, etcetera.

I never found it useful to run on High Beam in daylight ... They can see your Low Beam quite well, others may vary.

Anyway, the point is that you really are only going to use auxiliary driving lamps when there is no one around, so it's not so much of a problem in real life.

As the others have said, wire them through a relay, and fit a switch.

By the way ... I have heard some very good things about the high performance driving lamps from Walmart ... and they are only around $20 a set.