IGNORED

Garmin Lifetime updates

Sideoftheroad

Is the Lifetime updates for the device or for the person? What I am checking out is a GPS unit that the owner bought Lifetime updates (not you Bob :-)). If I buy the GPS from that person does the Lifetime updates go with that unit, or stay with the previous owner?

I'm pretty sure the updates are sold to an individual for a specific device...I'm thinking it won't transfer. I have the lifetime updates for my 660...I have had questions and they have been very good about answering...might check their website and submit the question. Good luck.:confused24:

I'm pretty sure the updates are sold to an individual for a specific device...I'm thinking it won't transfer. I have the lifetime updates for my 660...I have had questions and they have been very good about answering...might check their website and submit the question. Good luck.:confused24:

The account details on the Garmin website can easily be changed.

Get the password from the other owner. Log in and change the password and the registered email address.

Done!

This is the agreement off of the Garmin website at http://www.garmin.com/us/maps/us/numaps_lifetime

Pertinent areas highlighted by me.

¹If you purchase a nüMaps Lifetime™ subscription (sold separately or bundled together with certain GPS models), you will receive up to four (4) map data updates per year, when and as such updates are made available on Garmin’s website, for one (1) compatible Garmin product until your product’s useful life expires or Garmin no longer receives map data from its third party supplier, whichever is shorter. The updates you receive under the subscription will be updates to the same geographic map data originally included with your Garmin product when originally purchased (it is possible to use Lifetime map updates if you purchased a City Navigator® map on DVD and it is used on the same computer you installed the City Navigator maps). In some instances, your Garmin product might not have sufficient memory remaining for you to load an update to the same map data originally included with your Garmin product, in which case you will need to either (a) select reduced map data coverage for your updates, or (b) purchase separately a microSD card or a SD card (as applicable to your Garmin product) and load all or a portion of the map data coverage for your updates to the card and insert the card into the microSD card or SD card slot contained in your Garmin product. Garmin may terminate your nüMaps Lifetime subscription at any time if you violate any of the terms of this Agreement. Your nüMaps Lifetime subscription may not be transferred to another person or another Garmin product.

So legally I would say the answer to your question is no, but there may be a way around it like what was mentioned above.

I wouldn't get too hung up on "legally" in this case.

They acknowledge that the "useful life of the product" is a factor, and those "conditions" are very much a legal grey area ... they are civil anyway, not criminal.

If you like .... Buy the Device and have the previous owner "loan" you access to the updates ... or if it is a friend, get him to do it every now and again.

They've had their pound of flesh, no cause to pay twice.

I'm always surprised when someone advocates theft. If someone borrowed my bike because I've put plenty of miles on her, I might get upset. Or, maybe more accurately, if someone borrowed a rental car because Avis had already made plenty of money on it, I guess that's OK.

I suppose someone can live with their own conscience, but it's a bit mystifying when someone advocates illegal acts. I might drink a half bottle of Gentleman Jack at a bike stop, but I don't suppose I ought to urge others to do so.

Perhaps it's just me and my fuddy duddy upbringing.

Dave

I'm always surprised when someone advocates theft. If someone borrowed my bike because I've put plenty of miles on her, I might get upset. Or, maybe more accurately, if someone borrowed a rental car because Avis had already made plenty of money on it, I guess that's OK.

I suppose someone can live with their own conscience, but it's a bit mystifying when someone advocates illegal acts. I might drink a half bottle of Gentleman Jack at a bike stop, but I don't suppose I ought to urge others to do so.

Perhaps it's just me and my fuddy duddy upbringing.

Dave

Let me ask you something.

Where is the copyright agreement that allows Service Manuals to be downloaded from this site?

Edited by twigg

Here is the situation. I went ahead and purchased a streetpilot 2820. The previous owner deleted his garmin account. I asked the seller about how lifetime updates works. He also thought it was not transferrable so I called Garmin. What the rep told me is if it was not deleted, he could call Garmin and give them my info. and they would note the account. Once I got the unit then I would call and they would put it in my name. By doing this, it would tie lifetime maps to the unit and I would be able to keep lifetime maps.

So he called Garmin and got the account undeleted. They told him is it is not transferrable if the account name changes. Once the account name changes you lose Lifetime maps. So the suggestion from Garmin is leave the account name alone but I can log into his account to do map updates

The info. given to us by the Garmin reps is contradictory to Flyinfool's post but these are Garmin's instructions so I don't think they have any issues w/ this situation.

I think I will take the if it's not broke don't fix it approach and leave the account alone. I don't think I will bother w/ password/e-mail address changes either.

Sounds like you are good to go :)

By the way ... changing email and passwords is routine on all accounts. It won't cause problems folk do it all the time. It does have the advantage of ensuring that updates are notified to you, rather than the PO.

It's up to you.