IGNORED

HF Axle ?

BCLII

When you guys flip the axle over on the trailer to put it on top of the springs, do you still rest it on the flat part (open channel up) or the round shaft side( open channel side down as in manual on the spring? Weld plates on or just drill the shaft to align the spacing?

thanks

When you guys flip the axle over on the trailer to put it on top of the springs, do you still rest it on the flat part (open channel up) or the round shaft side( open channel side down as in manual on the spring? Weld plates on or just drill the shaft to align the spacing?

thanks

Ok... so explain this to me... why would you do this? :detective:

I turned the axle over and took a grinder and knocked the corners off the hex nut. That way, I didn't have to drill the hole larger. The reason was to lower the height of the trailer the thickness of the axle. If I remember correctly, that was about 2 1/2 inches. It also made it easier to go back if I wanted to.

Richard

OK, I think I got it. I will reverse the bolts in the leave springs(I removed the small one) so the alignment heads are facing up (when the trailer is up right). Then slide the axle in and attach the axle with the flat of the channel down (open side up), the reverse of the design.

This HF trailer has 12" wheels and it seems high, so that is reason for flipping my axle.

I also will be extending the tongue 22".

Anything else I may be forgetting?

With the bigger 12 inch tires make sure that you check for adequate suspension travel so the tires do not rub the fenders when fully loaded and hitting a good size bump in the road.

My test will be to put 400 lbs (way more than I ever intend to actually carry) of weight on the trailer and with the trailer connected to my truck I will then jump up and down on each side of the trailer to see if I can get the tires to hit the fenders.

I'm still building mine and will just flip the axle over (open side up). But I have the 8 inch tires so fender clearance "should" not be an issue. I also intend to drill 2 small drain holes so that water can drain out of the axle to help avoid corrosion issues.

I have a feeling that I will end up making a new axle out of tube so that I can add electric brakes in the future AND have standard bearings and seals for future maintenance.

There are metric bearing 7" drums available but they cost more than just replacing the whole axle and upgrading to standard 1-1/16 bearings.