IGNORED

auxilary fuel tank install

Looking to install a auxilary fuel tank and was wondering if we can install fuel line directly to existing line from tank or do we have to install another peckcock then add lines to that? I know that the rsv's are not fuel injected but with the fuel pump set up i'm wondering if it's the same.

It would scare the crap outta me with a fuel tank hanging out in the breeze that way. I'd be even more paranoid about getting hit....

Why? Its a lot safer than the cheap tank on the bike! It would most likely survive a crash intact without spillage than the bike's tank.

However, it's how you mount it to the bike that makes or breaks your back ;) hard mount to the holy crap bars have to secure for it to be safe.

I have my tour tank mounted in my trunk. It has it's own petcock valve which I leave on all the time. Fuel line runs to the bikes petcock. I leave my main petcock in the off position and use the aux fuel tank first then after about 70 to 90 miles or the bikes starts sputtering which ever comes first then switch to my main tank and keep on curzin. Fuel pump not required because the tank set above the other so just gravity.

Rick A.

Why? Its a lot safer than the cheap tank on the bike! It would most likely survive a crash intact without spillage than the bike's tank.

However, it's how you mount it to the bike that makes or breaks your back ;) hard mount to the holy crap bars have to secure for it to be safe.

Don't see too many bikes getting t-boned. Most are rear ended, or they are the t-boner... :) I'd hate to be rear ended and trust that that tank on the luggage rack is going to stay together.... But that's just me, the eternal pessimist....

Don't see too many bikes getting t-boned. Most are rear ended, or they are the t-boner... :) I'd hate to be rear ended and trust that that tank on the luggage rack is going to stay together.... But that's just me, the eternal pessimist....

the tank itself is more solid than anything else on the bike.. Heck, I'd put it on the rear fender for added protection!

Drink the rest of your half empty glass ;)

. Carry extra fuel??? Gulp!!! I'll stop for fuel when my tank runs low. Not sure about carrying extra fuel around is good on a motorcycle. I know it can be accomplished but I for one would feel a little nervous carry that fuel around. I carry extra fuel around on my boat at times and I do not really like the tanks in the boat with me. I just do not feel safe with any modification concerning fuel. No offense to anyone, just me. DanC :cool10:

. Carry extra fuel??? Gulp!!! I'll stop for fuel when my tank runs low. Not sure about carrying extra fuel around is good on a motorcycle. I know it can be accomplished but I for one would feel a little nervous carry that fuel around. I carry extra fuel around on my boat at times and I do not really like the tanks in the boat with me. I just do not feel safe with any modification concerning fuel. No offense to anyone, just me. DanC

Check out the literature on their site, Dan.. you'll find their tanks are constructed very well and quite solid. Its a stronger gas container that the bike's gas tank.

I would feel nervous carrying a plastic gas can on the rear seat of the bike but i would have full confidence of mounting one of those metal tanks to the grab bars on the rear of the bike.

If I knew I'd be doing a few runs on long distance roads where fuel stops are few, I wouldn't hesitate to install one of these on the bike.. I'd still be make safety stops to stretch and all.. as comfy as the bike is, I don't think I could take 4 hours in the saddle non stop.. ouch!!

but, to each their own.. ;)

the tank itself is more solid than anything else on the bike.. Heck, I'd put it on the rear fender for added protection!

Drink the rest of your half empty glass ;)

I'll wait for you to field test it, and get back here.... if you can... with a report.... Not sure I understand what a half empty glass..or half full.. has to do with questioning the safety of a tank location.....

I'll wait for you to field test it, and get back here.... if you can... with a report.... Not sure I understand what a half empty glass..or half full.. has to do with questioning the safety of a tank location.....

Lol.. a pessimist always sees the glass as half empty .. not half full ;)

Wait, field test it as crashing the bike, picking up the pieces and getting back to you after a hospital stay?

Ok, see you in 6 weeks ;)

Lol.. a pessimist always sees the glass as half empty .. not half full ;)

Wait, field test it as crashing the bike, picking up the pieces and getting back to you after a hospital stay?

Ok, see you in 6 weeks ;)

Half empty is much better than empty..... :)

• 2 years later...