IGNORED

Trip planning - Madison, WI to South Dakota - What to see?

petekadish

This summer (July 16th - 26th), we're taking a trip from Utah to Madison, WI for STAR Days. After the event, we're planning on a 3-4 day ride back, and we're looking for some ideas on any can't miss spots along the way.

From Wisconsin, we're thinking about heading back on 90 through Minnesota and South Dakota. Then to Wyoming and Idaho, and then back to Utah. Once we get past about the middle of South Dakota, we know were we want to go from there.

I just can't figure out what there is to see between Madison, Wisconsin and South Dakota. Anyone have any recommendations for things which we want to be sure to check-out along the way?

I appreciate the advice as always!

Thanks & Be Safe!

Pete.

I checked out the star rally and looks like I'll be working every day it's on. Maybe something might be going on in the evening somewhere though. I'll keep an eye out.

It's only 15 miles down the road.

Pete, I'd jump up to hwy 20 and run that across. two lanes and little traffic. Miles and time about the same as the slab.

Orem UT to Casper WY to Valentine NE to Middleton WI.

Steve

What a Coincidence? I met a guy from Utah last week in Roswell, NM, and he was going to be going to Star Days too. He had a Vtwin Star though. And that was the first I heard about Star Days in WI.:doh:

I'd show you the sights around here, (30 miles from Madison) but I'll be heading to the left coast about then, and back to the VR international in Cody, Wy.

Anyhow, If you're looking for better scenery leaving Madison, most of the roads west of Madison in WI are pretty decent riding. You could run Hiway 18 west from Madison, all the way across Iowa.

Or, you could take I90/94 about 30 miles west and take hiway 33 from Portage to Lacrosse and then get back on I90 if you so choose. Hiway 33 is pretty decent scenery once you get past Baraboo and Reedsburg.

You could also take US12 west out of Madison to Sauk City and then take Hiway 60 west to Prairie du Chien, and then head elsewhere. Hiway 60 mostly follows the Wisconsin river in the western half the state, and makes for some nice riding.

Have a safe trip, Scooter Bob

My in-laws stopped at Murdo, South Dakota to see this http://www.pioneerautoshow.com/ . So we did too back in 04 on our trip to see the Redwoods. Alls I can say is that has alot of strange and unusual things. One of them was the first travel trailer ever made. The couple that made it were real adventurers. The country was very pristeen back then. Makes me kind of jealous.

Heres a ride you will want to take.... from Madison go north to Lodi and take 113 to Merrimac.. there is a free ferry across the wisconsin river... From there, go to Devils lake state park... south Lake road around the southern end of the lake, then go to Wildcat Mountain... theres a start for you

Heres a ride you will want to take.... from Madison go north to Lodi and take 113 to Merrimac.. there is a free ferry across the wisconsin river... From there, go to Devils lake state park... south Lake road around the southern end of the lake, then go to Wildcat Mountain... theres a start for you

Ya, that would work!:thumbsup2:

Been there, Done that!:banana:

It's a long, boring stretch of road. I've traveled I90 many times and there isn't much to see until you get to Wall, SD and beyond. I wish I had something better to say...

I agree I-90 is a long boring stretch of road BUT there is an Oais... SPAM Town USA, Austin MN. It's a MUST to go through the SPAM museum.... and it's FREE

Here in Madison, SD we have the best DQ I have ever been to!!!!!!!!! We are right on SD HWY 34 that is MN HWY 30. Some construction between here and Minnesota state line, but we are only aobut 30 miles north of I90. If you are interested in Laura Ingalls Wilder, DeSmet, SD is about a 45 minute drive on US 14. This is the "Little Town on the Prairie" she wrote of. SD 34, or US 14 will take you all the way to the Black Hills. Sure, it is only a two lane highway, but more relaxing the the Interstate.

If you have time, give me a call. The number is in my profile.

Dave

Pete, while in the WI area, you should try to get to Galena IL, very nice roads and a great tourist destination with some interesting shopping and history.

In S. Dakota, you would want to take in Spearfish Canyon, in the town of the same name. the Mt. Rushmore memorial is a must do of course but be sure to ride the pigtail bridges in the area. Lots to see out there.

Have a great trip.

I have been out to the Black Hills 3 times now and the ONE location I never fail to stop and see is the Crazy Horse Monument. It is about 12-15 miles down the road from Mt. Rushmore, but it well worth the trip. Besides the monument itself, there is a museum that shows some of the work of the sculptor ( I won't even try to spell his name). The visit to the museum and the 20 minute video in the theatre is worth the trip out there. And of course, the ride through the Black Hills is TOTALLY AWESOME... :dancefool: :thumbsup:

And if you have a National Park pass, a ride through the Badlands will only take you a couple of, or 4, hours.. It is some very BEAUTIFUL scenery.. It's not like I'm hung up on that part of the country or anything....:innocent-emoticon:, but I am planning a 4th trip out there from KY this summer if the Lord's willing to go with me...:banana: :mo money:

The main thing is to be safe and enjoy yourself..:thumbsup2: