IGNORED

How high would gas have to go.....

Venturous Randy

before you start cutting back on your fun riding? We are now at about $3.55 a gallon around here and it takes me about $15 bucks or so to fill up when the bike has about a gallon left. At my last fillup, my average was right at 45mpg and I figure that works out to about eight cents a mile. That would still be about $40 for a 500 mile weekend.

RandyA

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would have to go WAY higher than that. When you think about it, $40.00 for a 500 mile weekend. What is that? Probably 10 hours of riding? Where else can you get 10 hours of great entertainment and soul cleansing therapy for $40.00? How much does it cost to go to a ball game or even a movie and neither of those would give you 10 hours of entertainment. :)

It would have to go WAY higher than that. When you think about it, $40.00 for a 500 mile weekend.

Did you get 500 miles in last year ? Swifty may have put almost as many miles on your bike as you did, and he was only gone for an hour :stirthepot:

BRad

HEY.....you don't have to get all snitty about it.

Not Snitty just pointing out the facts. Well you should be able to do more than Swifty this year as he is too CHEAP to go buy a new bike and it going to take him all year to get his running right. :stirthepot:

:rotf:

Brad

I wish everyone in the United States bought up all the oil/gas stock even if they only had one share and just sat on it. No more buying/trading and more importantly Speculating. Then it's price would solely be based on supply and demand.

This is not meant to be a political statement. Please don't make it one.

I'm just really getting tired of a few people manipulating the price of fuel to fill their pockets. They say for every 1 cent raise in the price of fuel it takes $1 billion out of our economy... Think about it...

They have super computers up in new york that can buy /sell many times in a second and make money in the blink of an eye.

Rant off...:bang head:

Edited by CaptainJoe

I wish everyone in the United States bought up all the oil/gas stock even if theyonly had one share and just sat on it. No more buying/trading and more importantly Speculating. Then it's price would solely be based on supply and demand.

This is not meant to be a political statement. Please don't make it one.

I'm just really getting tired of a few people manipulating the price of fuel to fill their pockets. They say for every 1 cent raise in the price of fuel it takes $1 billion out of our economy... Think about it...

They have super coumputers up in new york that can buy /sell many times in a second and make money in the blink of an eye.

Rant off...:bang head:

Few ways we could do it Joe and we just sit back and watch. Don't make sense.

For me with the weak job that I have, it is getting dangerously close to that point now. And the bike is not even out of storage yet. I have already had to cancel a couple of trips that I had planned for this summer.

If we can luck into some good weather, I hope to have the bike done and out by next week.

It would take a terribly high gas price for me to slow down. When I think about what it costs me to have the bike (purchase price, insurance, accessories, etc) paying a 2 or 3 dollars more than "normal" really isn't going to matter much. I guess if it was costing me 10+ per gallon I might change my mind but until that time comes, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than filling up my Silverado. CHA-CHING.

I get about 40 mpg and if gas was a $1 higher that works out to $250 for the whole year as I normally put about 10k on a year. So I wont really make a difference in how much I ride.
Something looked funny there so I did the math. You mean to say it would cost $250 MORE a year for a total of a little over $1100 in gas for the year...

before you start cutting back on your fun riding? We are now at about $3.55 a gallon around here and it takes me about $15 bucks or so to fill up when the bike has about a gallon left. At my last fillup, my average was right at 45mpg and I figure that works out to about eight cents a mile. That would still be about $40 for a 500 mile weekend.

RandyA

Do the same ride in a car and tell me about the cost. I think that if gas goes higher just the reverse is going to happen, and we're gonna ride more..not less. Wallet pain doesn't get in the picture. Even at a lot more per gallon. Not unless we wanna sit on the porch and not go anywhere.....

In '07 I rode to Ft Collins and the round trip fuel cost was around $150 bucks, and the price per gallon was just about the same as it is now.... maybe a little more?? In '09 I trailered the bike to Cody, and even though the price of fuel was a less, it still ran around $500 bucks round trip in the truck. :mo money: This year I'm riding to Cody.... :sign20:

:cody

Do the same ride in a car and tell me about the cost. I think that if gas goes higher just the reverse is going to happen, and we're gonna ride more..not less. Wallet pain doesn't get in the picture. Even at a lot more per gallon. Not unless we wanna sit on the porch and not go anywhere.....

I agree 100%. The higher the price goes the more I'll ride. It's hard to get 40mpg out of the Silverado - even if I coast down hills with a tail wind!! :cool10:

Gas prices will probably have me riding more. I'm already riding my bike to work every day the weather isn't nasty. Even if gas prices double what they are now, it's still cheaper to spend the weekend on the bike than it is to load up in the truck and go out to eat. Or even worse, take the wife SHOPPING!!!:shock3:

In the 15 years that I have had this bike, a really good year was 8,000 miles and at that time I was getting 35 to 40mpg at best. This past year, while finishing up a divorce after 41 years, I put 12,000 miles on the bike and with the carb changes that I made, I have seen as good as about 49mpg, but usually in the 45 to 48mpg range.

The real point here is I can not put a value on the enormous therapy that I got out of the bike this past year and to make it even better, I have found someone that loves to ride that has really made it so very good, thank you my Lady Linda.

RandyA