IGNORED

Brain Dead

Yammer Dan

You probably have an older unit using R22, R12 is used for freezers. The upgrade is to 134A but then the system needs to be flushed and a new TX valve is needed. 134A is now much cheaper than R12, so it would pay to get things switched over, and while you're at it, install a new compressor to make everything more efficient.

Now you might be able to find a buddy who recycles R22, and maybe he can 'lend' you some for the time being, although they have to keep track of their stuff pretty close.

Either way, you should have that leak fixed so it don't cost you anymore.

On second thought I may have the R22 and R12 mixed up.

Edited by Marcarl

info. off the internet...........

You must have or acquire a appropriate license to purchase this product directly to dispense yourself. The E.P.A. has several companies that they have approved their courses for licensure which you may purchase and study then take test under witness of a approved examiner.

Interesting Note:

R-22 will stop being produced in a few years. Like you saw happen with R-12 in the past. A new refrigerant is slated to be used with all new equipment soon and it also requires licensure to handle and dispense even though it is considered environmentally safe product to date. Now here is the point of this lecture,,,,,, There are alternative refrigerants even now for older R-22 systems. You can still get R-22 of course, ( but ) its price will soon increase dramatically to discourage its use as was done with R-12 during final years of its faze out. But!!!!!!,,,,, YOU WILL have a refrigerant that you can use in your older R-22 system for some years to come. So don't buy it if a sales person says you gotta buy a whole new R-410A system cuz R-22 is no longer available for your older system and they are not interchangeable. ( There is and will be a R-22 substitute for some time to come to keep your system working )

Be careful with "conversions". While R134a is a popular refrigerant for conversions it is nowhere near as efficient as R12 or R22. It takes almost double the horse power to get the same BTUs of cooling. Also a system DESIGNED to use R134a will have much bigger compressor and coils. While the conversion if done properly will function, it will not function nearly as well as it used to with the R22.

Most likely your house central air if older will have R22, it is expensive but still available.

If you are low on refrigerant you have a leak, period. It is against the law to recharge a system without doing something to fix the leak. That something can be as simple as adding some dye to the system and recharging to be able to locate the leak in the future.

Be careful, there are a lot of scammers, doing AC work. Some of them are even reputable companies.

I hold a contractors permit for the state of Wisconsin....

Forget about trying to do it yourself.... at least here is Wis.. there is such a tight hold on ANY of the Freon replacements its nuts.....shhhhh I have some of the GOOD stuff locked in the back room....:whistling:

OK What Freon does house A/C take. Need a charge kit. I've done this before but can't remember #. 134 is car house is ??? 22? 12? I'll feel stupid when I get this one but don't tell.........Promised I wouldn't do that!!

Anything I say would be a guess. Check the tag on the outdoor unit, also look on the furnace itself, you should find freoninformation in one of the two areas. Your a big boy so you know the wrights, or wrongs of this topic so Ill let that be. If you added to it prior to this time, then I am guessing it IS NOT R22. You may have been able to come acrossed some R-12 or R-134a but I doubt you found a small amount of R-22 to add to it like you say you have done in the past.

I have added to it just one of those things. Got the numbers mixed up in my head and that ain't a place thats very organized!!!:whistling: What do you mean big boy??:think: I'll admitt I've gained......oh never mind!!!:rotfl:

LOL not in a physical scense...............you know.............aaahhhh forget it :whistling: :rotf:

I am betting you put the R-134A in it. It is available at walmart, any parts store, very easily accessible to the general public.

I dont think Ive ever seen R134a used in home AC. R-22 which is on it's way out is being replaced with R410a. They are not compatible and in most case if you upgrade you have to replace the freon lines with larger diameter ones.

Dan give me model and ser # and brand . It's not 134a I can tell you that. If its more than a couple years old its R22 . They will be making R22 for a while, they are fazing out new equipment that use 22 for a refrigerant by the end of the year. The new AC freon is R410. These new units run on a much higher pressure and hate moisture . Some window shakers run 134a.

Dan give me model and ser # and brand . It's not 134a I can tell you that. If its more than a couple years old its R22 . They will be making R22 for a while, they are fazing out new equipment that use 22 for a refrigerant by the end of the year. The new AC freon is R410. These new units run on a much higher pressure and hate moisture . Some window shakers run 134a.

There is absolutly no doubt it did not take R134A from the factory. He stated he put freon in it before. I do not know of too many places to run out and buy R22. It is possible to come acrossed some horded R12, but highly unlikely. The concern at this point is what was added before. :confused24:

There is absolutly no doubt it did not take R134A from the factory. He stated he put freon in it before. I do not know of too many places to run out and buy R22. It is possible to come acrossed some horded R12, but highly unlikely. The concern at this point is what was added before. :confused24:

If he put 134a in a r22 system he will be buying a new one , oops lol . Hey Dan if you were a few hundred miles closer, well you know.

I'm pretty sure its R22. Just got to reading and got one of those moments when all those numbers weren't making sense. I few of you will remember I had a leak last year in the

A-Coil Close to where it changes from copper to aluminum. Trying to solder that don't work too well. I slapped some J B Weld on it and got lucky. It hasn't lost much if any from where it was when I did this but I had just had it charged (by a Pro) and it had lost a little before I sealed it. Don'y expect that to last forever but would like to get a couple more years out of it and I plan on moving entire unit outside. Its still cooling just not as good as it should so its overworking itself and I wanted to add a little. Repairman charges over 100 bucks. Buy a can and dump it in is gambling a little but I think it would bring it back to cooling as it should. I used to work around this stuff about 35 yrs ago and I know if you overcharge it you can lock up compressor.About a 12 to 16 oz can shouldn't hurt?Or how much do you think? I used to have set of guages but they have walked away. I'm pretty sure it was R22 I'll check tag before I order.

THANKS!!

The system I have for the house was installed in 1958. An old Carrier compressor. I had it service once about 25 years ago, and a breaker replaced about 10 years ago. That tank is still doing it's job. Had a dealer come out and do an evaluation 10-15 years ago and he just said to run it until it dies.... As long as it's paid for and runing, buying a new one isn't going to be an economical decision even though it's not efficient.

Mobile air conditioning systems use different refrigerant than fixed units. They operate at different pressures. Do not get them mixed up. Old mobile R-12, new mobile R134a. Old stationary R22, new stationary R410a. Also some very old stationary freezers use ammonia. Then there are the private brand names to sort out.

Mike