SO, here's the new issue. When my '87 is hot I get a gear clashing / crunch from the lower left as I am sitting on the machine when I hit the start button. This happens one out of four starts or so. Is this the starter clutch? The starter seems to be engaging and disengaging fine but the crunch is bad when it happens I saw the write up on starter clutches and it looks ugly so I want to attempt to confirm before popping covers off the engine.

All the best!

-Jim

Hey Jim,

You, my friend have the dredded Starter Clutch issue. Two ways to go here, throw some replacement parts at it, and hope for the best, or get the Dano Mod, and NEVER have to worry about it again. Dano stands behind every flywheel he modifies, and the results have been excellent. Here at the shop, it is the only way I will affect a repair on the starter clutch. I have personally seen, at least 6 people, buy all new parts for ths issue, and had the starter clutch fail a few months later. I have seen a few that held up though, so it's up to you. You have the choice to fix it once and for all, or fix it, and cross your fingers.:confused24:

Earl

PM Dano,

He does the starter clutch mod for us. I had him do mine in 2/2010. Perfect fix. No issues anymore at all.

I'd blown out two clutches before he did mine. Costs a bit more than a new OEM. but not much more and you will never have to replace it again.

There is thread around here some where on it.

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth
corrected install date

So far mine has never made a "clunking" noise yet.:080402gudl_prv:

But this spring when I went to start her up for the first time since fall, it slipped out a few times. The starter kicked in as normal and the engine spun, then the drive slipped out and the engine quit spinning. On the plus side, it started a hell of a lot easier and quicker this spring after I put that Deka AGM battery last summer. But the question in my head is, is this also related to the clunking that you other guys have had?

Would anybody happen to have any before and after pics of the clutch mod?

Thanks, Bill