IGNORED

Thank you plastex!!

Hulign

When I got my RSV the previous owner had superglued the windshield chrome strip because he had broken off the end mounting tab that the screw goes thru. I poked around and ran across the Plastex kit. This is the first time I have ever used a glue type product and not made a mess. No glue on the fingers...no glue on the table...no glue on the stuff I wasn't trying to glue. I have no doubt that the tab is stronger than it was originally. The price for that part is around 140 bucks... the Plastex was 21 after shipping. I have enough left over to do this repair 100 times.

Great product that works!!

Frank

Hey guys...I have a big bottle of this stuff, but not used it for anything yet.

I just want to make sure I understand how you made this repair...the tab broke off and you smeared some plastex on the break and then mated the two back together...OR did you do that and then build up extra plastex on each side of the break also?

Am I missing something here...is it THAT strong that gluing the pieces together is like a weld?

Thanks,

Wally

My kit came with a piece of molding plastic that when heated it can be shaped to another (good tab) when it cools you set it up to what is left of the broken tab pour in the powder and then wet it down with the excelerator liquid. let that dry and there it is a new tab.(hole included)

I just want to make sure I understand how you made this repair...the tab broke off and you smeared some plastex on the break and then mated the two back together...OR did you do that and then build up extra plastex on each side of the break also?

Am I missing something here...is it THAT strong that gluing the pieces together is like a weld?

Thanks,

Wally

There is a good video on the plaatex web site that illustrates the answer to your questions.

Thanks,

Wally

If you bought the kit yourself, then there should've been a small CD with it that has a video on how to use it. If you don't have the CD, here is a link to their site that has a video also. And YES, it really does work just the way they advertise it will. That doesn't happen very often.

http://www.plastex.net/index.php?pr=How_To_Videos

For mine I had the tab it broke off nearly flush(the casting actually gets thinner at the base, horrible design BTW). I took a dremel and stripped all the chrome off of the tab and the spot where is should attach. I held it in place and used the drop method to get the side started. used a blow dryer to make it set up faster and then just in steps, sprinkled on powder and then the solution. Hard to tell from the picture but it turned out sweet. Rode today in normal Nebraska high winds and it didn't budge.

This pic was about 1/2 thru the process. I almost filled in the ribs you see.

Frank