IGNORED

New to Me - 1980 Honda CB 750 Custom

petekadish

I just picked-up a 1980 Honda CB 750 Custom, with only 19,000 miles. It's in great shape and it even came with original Hondaline Accessories - including a full fairing, saddlebags, and a trunk.

I would like to get this bike tuned-up and in as tip-top shape as possible. Does anyone have any tips on great sites I could visit for this bike. My Venture questions and issues are all addressed here on this site. Now, I need something for this old Honda. I think that this CB 750 will will make for a pretty reliable second bike. Now, I just need to get as familiar with it as I am with my Venture.

Thanks & Be Safe!

Pete.

You would be surprised how many answers you can get for that thing here. But you know the rules... PICS?? Those were a strong old bike.

I'm sure after you clean it up good, tune it up, fix what is necessary you could get your money back out of it here.....:duck: :whistling: :stirthepot:

Yeah, I only paid $1,900 for it. I got it off a friend, and since it was in exceptional condition, I offered him a few hundred more from his initial asking price.

I road it last night for about 15 miles and I was so tickled about how tiny it feels compared to my '07 Venture. It feels like a mountain bike! I think that the first two things I will tackle on it, are putting on some new brakes and a new chain.

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding chains, or are they all pretty standard O-Ring configurations?

Be Safe!

Pete.

I road it last night for about 15 miles and I was so tickled about how tiny it feels compared to my '07 Venture. It feels like a mountain bike! I think that the first two things I will tackle on it, are putting on some new brakes and a new chain.

I have a 78 Suzuki GS750 and I feel the same way about it every time I get on it; feels like a toy.

Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy it! I cannot be much help in suggesting another forum or where to get parts.

I get mine from partshark or a few other online places. The last place I lived had a small independent motorcycle shop that could get me just about anything I needed or wanted for my bike. It was a family business that had been there for 30+ years. Sadly I moved and have not been able to find another one...

:080402gudl_prv:

That's a great bike. I have an 82 model with 22,000 miles on it ( got to sell it though to get a trailer for my RSV). I have a list of sites at home on my laptop i'll post tonight where you can find new parts, used parts and just about anything else for that bike.

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding chains, or are they all pretty standard O-Ring configurations?

Be Safe!

Pete.

hey Pete, I had a '74 CB750 years and years ago ... like about 1978 LOL. Anyhoo, what I recall about that bike specific to the chain was to buy the chain and sprockets as a "matching set". Put a new chain on an old sprocket and before long the chain is shot....or, vice-versa.

Also a good suggestion. I hadn't even thought of replacing the sprocket. I'll be sure to do that as well. I just want to get everything as ideally tuned-up as I possibly can. Like I mentioned ..., it's already in really good shape. But, it can certainly use a little more of my own TLC.

Thanks!

Pete.

That's a nice find, especially with the Hondaline accessories.

There are lots of resources around. Google search for "Honda 750 Forum", you are bound to turn up a few.

Poke around, find one you like.

Just about everything for those bikes is still available, one way or another.

Also a good suggestion. I hadn't even thought of replacing the sprocket. I'll be sure to do that as well. I just want to get everything as ideally tuned-up as I possibly can. Like I mentioned ..., it's already in really good shape. But, it can certainly use a little more of my own TLC.

Thanks!

Pete.

The general rule is that you change the sprocket every other chain.

But that demands a careful examination of the sprocket. If the teeth are not symmetrical, and especially if they are "hooked" .... you will know what I mean if you ever see a hooked sprocket, then they should both be changed.