IGNORED

Communication systems

Ok just bought a 2005 RSTD so what is the best money spent for a comm system. Needs to work with driver/passenger, driver to other driver and ability to connect to a cell phone for long rides.

Willing to pay a finders fee, ok well maybe just send you chocolate chip cookies in the mail. No guarrenty that they will get to you.

My wife & I use the Scala Rider Q2s. Whether she's on the back of my bike or on her own, we can easily communicate. No wires. All bluetooth. You can buy them as a set already paired. Then you just have to pair them to your phones. I'm sure others will chime in with their solutions, as well.

that makes 2 for the Scala Q2 So far I like mine, good sound little white noise. One of our sponsors is clearing them out right now at 169 bucks.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/closeouts/accessories/cardo_systems/q2_multiset_bluetooth_rider_to_rider_intercom.html

But when ordering dont use my link above use the one at the top of the page so VR gets the credit for the sale.

Edited by friesman

Wife and I bought the Cardo Scala G4 Powerset and never looked back.

Love the clarity and features.

Installed in a full face helmet, I've accepted phone calls via bluetooth through it and folks think they're talking to me on a land line.

The FM radio is nice, though I've only used it in town where signals are strong.

I do often use the aux jack though to connect my mp3, stereo sound and all.

Cardo's done a stand up job on these units.

Very easy to USB into our home puter and the program looks for firmware and software upgrades and automatically installs them in your headsets.

I would only recommend this system for full or 3/4 helmets due to the mounting systems.

I would not go this route wearing half helmets.

And Stuart has an excellent point. Even though the Cardo G4 will allow comm with several other riders, they must too have a cardo unit.

Edited by okiestar
forgot something

I think, and I may be wrong, that one of the key features that was requested was the ability to communicate with other riders. Most of these Bluetooth suggestions do not address that issue. The fact is, MOST riders that communicate with each other still use CB radios.

If that is the case and you are looking for intercom between rider and passenger as well as the ability to talk to other riders in your group, I recommend the J&B CB/Intercom unit.

Not the cheapest solution but in my opinion, probably the best solution. Sierra is a great company to deal with and are actually cheaper than buying from J&M direct.

http://www.sierra-mc.com/products.asp?cat=371

I think, and I may be wrong, that one of the key features that was requested was the ability to communicate with other riders. Most of these Bluetooth suggestions do not address that issue. The fact is, MOST riders that communicate with each other still use CB radios.

If that is the case and you are looking for intercom between rider and passenger as well as the ability to talk to other riders in your group, I recommend the J&B CB/Intercom unit.

Not the cheapest solution but in my opinion, probably the best solution. Sierra is a great company to deal with and are actually cheaper than buying from J&M direct.

I think that varies ...... You are right, in the past CB was just about the only way, short of expensive Autocoms, etc.

The better modern Bluetooth units will pair readily with other Bluetooth headsets giving an open road range of up to about 900 meters.

The other option is FRS Radio (Two-way radio).

These will work up to several miles, and can be wired into intercom systems. The Motocomm ST-1 comes with all the cabling, and costs about $180.

In fact, you can buy mine if you want, I'm getting the Sena.

I know there are other options but they all depend upon you talking all your Goldwing, Venture and Ultra Classic riding friends to buy new systems also and that's not likely to happen. The fact is, the CB is still the standard that comes on most older and new touring bikes. It is the best choice if a rider's main objective is to be able to communicate with most other riders.

I know there are other options but they all depend upon you talking all your Goldwing, Venture and Ultra Classic riding friends to buy new systems also and that's not likely to happen. The fact is, the CB is still the standard that comes on most older and new touring bikes. It is the best choice if a rider's main objective is to be able to communicate with most other riders.

Yeah ... all very true.

But no one else had mentioned the "other options" ... So I thought I would. Gives a wider choice is all.

My wife and I have had the Starcom1 digital for 3 seasons and it is awesome. We opted for the handlebar wired remote so I can control all aspects for both helmets on the fly. It is very versatile and will support about any connections (phone, CB, MP3 etc etc) you can imagine. Very good quality stereo music and we have ours set up so when we talk the music continues, like talking at home with the stereo on...rider and passenger can listen to different music even, if you want....

:bluesbrother:

We have the Sena and have been very satisfied with it and their service. I had a distorted speaker and got no grief with getting it replaced (they actually gave me a whole new headset). It's Bluetooth ready and the controls are very easy to use. We haven't tried talking from bike to bike yet. I rode with earplugs in the other day and had no problems hearing the wife. You can also plug in your iPod, though it sounds better with the ear pods.

It's expensive, around $400, but it's very easy to use and no wires and excellent battery life. They give you several different power options to recharge it.

I would think that the one that is hard wired would be better especially with cb option like the RSV. No matter which way you go, speaker placement is the key for sound quality.

Edited by jfoster

I am not sure the Venture integrated CB,voice and music system is really worth investing in. I would move towards the new Blue Tooth units. I say this for several reasons. The first is the amount of issues of road noise that you can read about in this forum. I like many others have had considerable problems. You read about all kinds of "fixes" like "Mike Mutes" to make the factory system work. The second reason is the antennas. Firestik (a supplier of antennas) will tell you 30% of your CB transmission is lost into the second "radio" antenna on the bike. If I were to start all over again - I would not connect to the antiquated Venture system. Surely the presence of a "tape deck" should give you a hint that nothing has been invested in the Venture audio technology for a decade .

Just purchased the Scala Rider G4 powerset. It has all the items Viragofan was looking for in the original post. Rider/Pass, Rider/Rider. And something that a lot of others can't do.... you can talk to your passenger and both Rider and Pass on another bike at the same time. It has the bluetooth capabilities and 3.5mm jack for wired devices. A new firmware upgrade will allow you to communicate with any rider you meet using the G4 with Click-to-link. They can be paired on the fly. And the price was more than reasonable at $339.95 and free shipping!

Here is the link. http://4wheelonline.com/atv/Scala_Rider_G4_PowerSet.144763.518041

Edited by jointventure
Forgot to include link