IGNORED

Intermittant Neutral switch indicator; cleaning assebly - need new gasket?

LilBeaver

So I have what is likely a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyways. My neutral light functions intermittently and it has been this way since I have had my bike. I presume that the switch itself it faulty or gummed up. If a new switch wasn't $30+ (partshark) or ~45+tax from my local stealer, I would just replace it and be done with it.

What I would like to know is the following:

1) Can the neutral switch assembly be removed from the bike without loosing a significant amount of oil?

2) Is this switch something that CAN be cleaned and put back in (I have no idea how it works or what it looks like which is why I am uncertain about this.

3) Is it correct to assume that if I remove this puppy I will need to find a new gasket for it in order to reassemble?

To be a little more clear about what I mean by it functions intermittently is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't (when I am in neutral). There does seem to be a correlation with how warm the bike is but not an absolute since it comes and goes. That is it almost always functions just fine when the bike is cool. After a couple hours of riding it may function or it may not. It doesn't usually flicker on and off or anything it is either ON reliably or it is reliably OFF (again, YES I am in neutral :raspberry:).

Anyone else have (and resolve) this issue? Further input?

Thanks!

Overall this really is not that big of a deal as it doesn't really affect anything other than I cannot leave the engine run and put down the sidestand when it stops functioning. But I am one of those people that likes things to work like they are supposed to and if it is going to be a quick fix, I just assume do it.

Also, if the gasket wasn't ~$15 or so I wouldn't question replacing it; but thanks to my local stealership they do not have them in stock and assess a 'special order' fee for any parts they do not have on hand (not to mention their RIDICULOUS markup from the MSRP). Needless to say they get as little of my business as possible.

Edited by LilBeaver

Here are a few pictures of a 1st gen shift indicator segment.

From the parts fiche, it looks like the RSV is very similar, you may not use all the contacts though

.The segment is sealed by an an o-ring. Probably can be reused, but might as well get it, about $1.

On the 1st gen, the middle drive cover has to come off to get to it, so you will need that gasket.

Once removed, the switch can be cleaned with a scotch brite pad or something similar.

What may have worn out is the pin on the end of the shift segment, shown in last picture. This can be replaced once the switch is removed. Also get the spring behind it.

You have to remove 3 phillips head screws to get switch out.

Switch is $25.42 from partshark.com

Gary

DSC01441s.jpg

DSC01442s.jpg

Good info, thanks a lot Gary. It is too bad shipping is so gosh darn much (that is where my partshark price of 30+ came from - ie. including shipping). I guess if it is really going to be that involved, when it comes time to do it I should just buy the switch, fix it right and be done with it.

Thanks a lot!

• 3 years later...