IGNORED

is the Royal Supposed to ride rough?

SapperMedic

As most Know, I decided to sell the 86 VR to buy a bike that had a lower seat height. I found a 00 Royal Star in good shape in Austin and went to pick it up yesterday. (missed the Maint Day in Houston). It has plenty of power and is in excellent shape. BUT. I can feel every ridge and bump in the freeway. Maybe I was spoiled with the CLAS on the VR, But I can seen why this guy said he had back problems. It has Avon tires on it, so that may be part of it. I noticed very little rear suspension travel and felt like it may have bottomed out a time or two. Now the prior owner was 6' 3" and about 250, but I am only 190, so what's up>

Sounds like the rear shock is adjusted on the stiff side. If you have the tool kit for it there is a spanner type wrench that is used to adjust the rear shock.

And if that's not the problem, then the shock might need rebuilding or replacing.

Check that the tire pressure isn't way too high too.

The Factory seat is a pain, you know where, but looks like that one has Corbins, which seem hard at first, but after a while you will like it. As far as "rough", My '98 RSTC is not quite as smooth as my RSV, but I would not consider it objectionable. In fact I prefer it for in town errands over the RSV.

Another great Yamaha design, the spring is built inside the shock on the early Royal Stars. There is an adjustment. There should be a spanner wrench in the factory tool kit and you can adjust the preload on the shock.

http://pinwallcycle.com/ebay/bike2583/181.jpg

Isn't that a 4 piper? If so it's an earlier model than '00.

Good looking scoot btw!

There was no RS in '00. '98 was the last year.

The RSV came along in '99 and the TD in '05

The bike in that pic looks like a '96 or '97.

Edited by royalstarjac