IGNORED

Oil

Little Bob

Funny you ask about Rotella oil, I just finished doing a valve check this past weekend and I have to say I was very pleased that I did not need any shims:) As I was looking over the cam lobes and heads I was very pleased how clean the engine is

Midnight has been using Rotella most of its engine life and with 55,000 + miles this engine still looks new!! Timing chains - cam gears - cam lobes - valve shims - had no signs of wear at all still nice and very clean...!!!!

When I bought Midnight from Mavrick he used Rotella T 15W40 And I switched over to Rotella T6 SYN for prolong oil changes

Rotella T 15W40 @ 5,000mi or Rotella T6 @ 7,000mi but that's my preference

Yep I very pleased......

The main thing on any motor oil is preventive maintenance !!

Buddy

5w is not in the range of oil type stated by yamaha for an 07 venture.....

However that is the COLD viscosity of the oil. If you look at it in that perspective it actually is thinner and flows better at cold temperatures than does 10W... which means it protects better (gets flowing more quickly) on start up than 10W does.

If you're looking at a warranty issue, I have no idea if this would void the warranty or not.

yeh, that's what i would be worried about.....i've heard enough stories of people with legitimate documentation having to fight for warranty work......much less having to defend an engine issue using a weight of oil not specified in the manual......

yep, i know that's the "cold" rating.........the engineer's that design motors are the ones that decide why and what types of oil to use.....so they have their reasons...

If you're looking at a warranty issue, I have no idea if this would void the warranty or not.

It works for warranty as Rotella T6 is JASO MA certified.. just look at the back of the jug.

The owners manual oil weights are recommendations while the certifications are mandatory.

Please read YOUR owners manual for verification.

It works for warranty as it is JACO MA certified.... the owners manual oil weights are recommendations while the certifications are mandatory.

Please read YOUR owners manual for verification.

I don't know about Yamaha, but I know for a fact that if you buy a new Ford and it specifies 5w20 and you put 10w40 in it, you'll void the warranty.

A friend of mine worked at a Ford dealer for 10 years and told me about warranties that were denied because of that.

i did.......page 7-14 says, "recommended engine oil" see page 9-1.....then: it shows a graph, ( doesn't say recommended) engine oil 10w30.....or.....20w40.........

then it says, "recommended " engine oil grade,,,sg type or higher, JASO standard MA

so,...how will a court decide "recommended" as to "required".......i'll agree it can be debated......

plus, if we're gonna get detailed, where in the manual does it say certifications are mandatory...that's an opinion.....the manual says, recommended.........which can be interpreted as optional ( maybe)......

Edited by jlh3rd

and since we've now gotten into this............i think most can agree it's vague........so then a legal decision would be based on previous case outcomes.........

i think i'll stick with my "graph"........

So, when the temps get into the 40° to 100°F range will you drain the 10W-30 and go to 20W-40?

Do you even run 10W-30?

Do you just run 10W-40?

On the chart in the manual it calls for 10W-30 between 10° and 100°F and 20W-40 between 40° and 120°F. I'm guessing most people run "X"W-40 most of the time.

Oh, and the chart say Yamalube first, do you run Yamalube? Well, I guess it does say OR SAE. :Bunny:

i agree........but let's get back to the original question..........no where is 5w mentioned anywhere....

and to answer...i use rotella 15w40........and my defense would be that the 15 is in the range of oil recommended by yamaha.......but, that could be up for debate as to warranty in the strictis sense.....so i agree....it gets vague....

Edited by jlh3rd

As for warranty issue's

being a Mechanic for 27yrs the first thing out of the bag with dealers is this a human error point blank . their always trying to find a way to make this a human error. and in some cases it is an human error mostly due to "lack" of maintenance .

But as for using Rotella T6 5W40 syn oil I can see no issue why this would be a problem

Rotella has been used for many years for motorcycles before it was labeled JASO MA and now they do state it is (JASO MA)

but for me I'll stay with Rotella T6... :happy34:

Buddy

Thinking of running Rottella T6 in my 07 venture and my daughters v star 650. 15w-40 or 5w -40. I know this has been bet to death but running amsiol now.

i agree........but let's get back to the original question...

:think::think: Was there a question???

well kinda.....the original statement was a little vague ( kinda like the manual maybe ? )..but implied the question of "what do you think".....( thinking of running ;.. running amsol now).............................i guess i shoulda said, back to my original point.............