IGNORED

hiway pegs = happy wife

Jercoupe

Well it was listening to that whine from the back of my bikes(td and venture) for 3 years now that caused me to take matters into my own hands. I know i should have done this long ago but , hey, my feet were happy!

I asked several people to come up with a way to lower the boards for my wife to no avail so this is my answer.

2x2 3/16 angle cut 3 inches long . kuyrakan longhorns. 1/4 gal pipe cut for spacers. (see pics).

Since I dont really have the facility to make these they were kinda labor intensive since most of it was with hand tools I was hoping one of you guys with a shop might be able to do them if any others wanted. We have rode on a 450 mile day so far and she loved them. Said she like to be able to change from the boards to the pegs. They do flip up neatly when not in use. The 3/16 angle does have a little flex but not more than the stock floorboard. Perhaps if i was doing it again i'd use 1/4 angle. Anyway the whine is completely gone from the rear of the bike now. All is right in the world now! Jack in Los Osos CA

13644.jpg 13646.jpg 13647.jpg 13648.jpg 13649.jpg 13650.jpg 13653.jpg

Edited by Freebird

Jack... I know my wife is happy but based on the title of your thread, I think I will get her some Highway Pegs for xmas just to be certain! (dunno zacktly what she's gonna do with them....) LOL (maybe bop me over the head)

Just joking of course....

from your pics I'd say you did a pretty "skookum" job there!

VERY nice idea. I've been trying to come up with something similar to this myself, but haven't put a lot of thought into it yet. This gives me some new angles to play with. And yes, Kuryakyn part numbers would be nice. It looks like these brackets space the even the stock floorboards out a bit. Is that right? Do the floorboards have to be flipped up to use the pegs, or do the pegs come out far enough that that's not necessary? I can't tell from the pics. Do you have a pic straight from the back with the floorboard down to show that spacing?

VERY nice idea. I've been trying to come up with something similar to this myself, but haven't put a lot of thought into it yet. This gives me some new angles to play with. And yes, Kuryakyn part numbers would be nice. It looks like these brackets space the even the stock floorboards out a bit. Is that right? Do the floorboards have to be flipped up to use the pegs, or do the pegs come out far enough that that's not necessary? I can't tell from the pics. Do you have a pic straight from the back with the floorboard down to show that spacing?

The part # for the longhorn offset brackets is 8016 and i use 8002 pegs to match my highway pegs but you could probably use any of kuryakan pegs.

Yes. Those little silver spacers do bring the board out 1/2 inch and were necessary because if you notice there are spacers built into the passenger boards already that go into that plastic cover on the side of the bike. If i didnt use the spacers the new bracket would have broken that plastic. Also since the board is out further I worried about the torque bending the bolts so it is important to make the spacer just the right length so the botttom of the bracket below that rear bolt will rest on the frame.

The boards have to be flipped up to access the pegs but she can easily do this with her boots.

The longhorn bracket comes with a spline connecter to use with their clamps .. this prevents the peg from sliding down further but did have to take a dremel tool to that spline and cut half of the flange off so it would fit flush on the new bracket. Btw these can be adjusted a lot further down.. my wife is 6 ft tall and where you see them was right for her. Also they are not even close to the pavement on a hard lean and they pegs will kick back if they would hit.

Thanks Jack. Actually this exact design of bracket won't fit my bike because mine has four mufflers, and the top muffler goes by right underneath the floorboard bracket. But it does give me some good ideas though. I'll have to hang the new pegs off of my existing brackets somehow.

• 1 month later...
How big a hole in the bracket for the peg and what is its center location from front of bracket edge and from bottom of bracket edge?

Rod: My bike is in the shop so I cant measure that for you right now but the hole size depends on the peg that you use. I believe that the pegs i used took a 1/2 inch hole.. as far as the edge distance you can see in the pic that the bracket had to be rounded to accept the cogged adapter that came with the pegs(keeps the pegs from slipping down due to the leverage of the longarms). i rounded the edge first to fit the cog then set the cog on the bracket and drilled the hole.. perfect fit that way!.

• 4 years later...
Diamond R products.com has some very nice passenger foot pegs that are above the foot peg and forward. And they can be adjusted. They are pricey. I don't have any, myself, but I like the way they look and their location.

This is a very...very old thread..... :backinmyday: