IGNORED

Ham Radio, anyone?

Guest tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

I have noticed, when browsing the Members list, that there are quite a few Amateur Radio ops on here. I am looking at possibly installing a Dual Band Yaesu FT-10 on the bike. Yaesu came out with this new weatherproof VHF/UHF Dual-Bander, and it looks like a good radio to mount on a bike. Comes with AM/FM receive too! (wont need that).

You can get a handlebar mount, and a bluetooth headset/mic, and even an amplified speaker if needed. Has anyone mounted one of these yet?

If you have this radio or some other ham radio installation on the bike, how about some pics?

Years ago, I mounted a handheld on the tank of a Sportster, but it was not a good match. The vibrations the bike put out shook the radio too violently to operate well when moving. I did wire up a noise cancelling boom mic, and eventually solved some of the vibration problem, but I'm thinking the Venture and this new radio might be the way to go.

I might look at one of the CB/AM-FM spitters to combine my broadcast receiver and the CB on the one CB antenna, then this would enable me to convert (or replace) the existing AM/FM antenna to a dual band (maybe comet/diamond) whip.

Any ideas/experience?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KC5MUV...............73s

I tried my G71A in a limited fashion; but, not many hams local. most of them have passed. I still have the dual band antenna mounted in place of the AM/FM antenna.

I only have one or two that i still talk to with my front porch repeater. (TM-261a reciever, Cor-6 controler and TM- 241a X-mitter)

To answer your question, Nothing permanent.

You didn't mention your call sighn..............???

I'm gonna have to check that FT-10 out. sounds intresting.

I have my 2 meter hand held tied into the bike last year. I have a few bugs to get out of it yet. I intend to work on that this winter after I get the engine back in. you can see pics of it here...http://www.delusional-mechanic.com/

Call sign is ve6scy. I also want to get a UFH rig for it as well.

73s scotty

hi guys from Mother/VE3SCO/Scott (hey Scotty i like your callsign too)

there is a club in Califorria that deals specifically with motorcycles and ham radio. i will look and see if i can find their website. they have examples of setups that the guys and gals have on their bikes.

i take my kenwood 2 meter and 70 cm yeasu portable radios with me on some trips. when i pull over for the night i will get on a few repeaters and see what is happening.

73's

I am an active VHF/Microwave contester (K7MDL/R) but too much to carry on the bike, even the DC power requirements would need an aux SLA battery with charging connection from the bike. Been thinking about how to slim it down to carry a package of radios that would be in a box easy to use, take on and take off a dual sport bike to cover more forest roads and mountain tops in the Pacific Northwest. For now I load the antennas and gear up on my truck.

K7MDL ham radio pages

http://mysite.verizon.net/michael_d_lewis/index.html

I have a FT-817 that might see some time on the motorcycle trips, but so far I think it will ride in the trunk and get used at rest stops.

I have a portable dual band LP (ELK antennas) for 144/432 that is only 2 foot long. I can see it now on a mast up a few feet :-). I use it backpacking and marine mobile. With a passenger operator, might be fun fox hunting.

- Mike

K7MDL

Guest tx2sturgis
hi guys from Mother/VE3SCO/Scott (hey Scotty i like your callsign too)

there is a club in Califorria that deals specifically with motorcycles and ham radio. i will look and see if i can find their website. they have examples of setups that the guys and gals have on their bikes.

i take my kenwood 2 meter and 70 cm yeasu portable radios with me on some trips. when i pull over for the night i will get on a few repeaters and see what is happening.

73's

Yeah, thats M.A.R.C.....but that website tends to focus on Goldwings and bicycles...go figure...

Besides, its not NEW and RELEVANT to the Venture and hamming in general...and the FTM-10 in particular... alot of the info on that site is getting long in the tooth now. Hey it works for them, and thats fine, but im not wanting to install a full blown HF/VHF/UHF radio with a scewdriver antenna and a big dual band whip just to chase the local bicycle riders in the latest community service event.

Do I sound jaded? If so, thats only because I AM!!

No, I'm looking for specific info on the latest Venture and Ham radio marriage....Call it the Yamaha/Yaesu story.

Glad to see some interest on the topic tho....I knew we had some radio/motorheads out there!

I hooked up my 2 meter radio as shown in the attached picture. No vibration or anything to worry about. I did find though that I can't transmit with 50 watts as it drains the battery too much. I just leave it set to 5 watts.

db

:cool10:

Yeah, thats M.A.R.C.....but that website tends to focus on Goldwings and bicycles...go figure...

Besides, its not NEW and RELEVANT to the Venture and hamming in general...and the FTM-10 in particular... alot of the info on that site is getting long in the tooth now. Hey it works for them, and thats fine, but im not wanting to install a full blown HF/VHF/UHF radio with a scewdriver antenna and a big dual band whip just to chase the local bicycle riders in the latest community service event.

Do I sound jaded? If so, thats only because I AM!!

=======================================================

sorry that i upset you bud, just trying to help.

I've asked around and not really found the solution. The yaesu FTm 10 looks good but I don't need another AM/FM radio along, you know... I am currently just trying to mount my portable somewhere although I'd love to get a real mobile mounted. The portable is too small to be able to use with gloves on or be able to read the screen.

The last post is probably the best install pics I have seen.

We need a mobile that is the same size as the cassette deck and swap that out!

Anyone put a third antenna on somewhere? I don't want to give up the CB either....

73 de VE6HBY

BTW - where is Lake Demay?

Lake demay is south east of Edmonton, about 12 miles north east of camrose.

The only place you will realy find the lake is on an old raod map. You can walk accross it in the summer so don't bring your scuba equipment.

I have been trying to find a place for the allinco but I have had no success. I like the one on the hadle bars.

Scotty

Guest tx2sturgis
=======================================================

sorry that i upset you bud, just trying to help.

Yeah...I'm really upset!!! You better be more careful!!!

:whistling:

I carry the HT with me most of the time, you never know when the cell phone is not going to work. A friend of mine has his IC 706 mounted on his GoldWing and he can operate about any band with some kind of an antenna that looks like the outbacker. He has everyone from 2 meter, 220 MHz, and HF on his Wing. We also operated 220 MHz on our way to Vogel this year.

• 8 months later...

I would like to hide a two meter rig and be able to use it through the J&M headset. Just waiting for someone to do the "Buddy Rich" style cable for an additional radio. I don't want to give up the CB, just add 2 meters. Should be simple enough to stick a 1/4 verticle on the bike somewhere.

Lynn, KE4DA, 5Z4DU, 5Z1HR, YJ8DA & VK4DEY

Check out the brackets from MARC for motorcycles. I like the concept their luggage carrier clamp - nifty.

http://www.marc-hq.org/40.technotes/40.htm

I use a FT-817 with 2 whips on my KLR650 on mountain tops for VHF contests. One whip is a tri band 144-220-432 and the other is a 5/8wave 2M tuned for 50MHz both mounted on surface mounted NMOs on each end of a 1/4" thick aluminum bar bolted to the KLR luggage rack. easy on/off. For convenience I use a Comet diplexer to allow a dingle cable connection. I use it only when stopped so far.

There are commercial audio integration units from Kennedy and others if you can afford one.

Mike

Ok, I just gotta ask: Did they drop the Morse Code requirement?

Back way too many years ago my dad was W9PUI. He pretty much took it to the top. Had a basement full of QSL cards. I listened to Hanoi Hanna on a radio he picked up from MARS.

I just couldn't get into it because I really didn't want to become adept at the code. The techno end was interesting enough, I even learned about how antennas work. Loved the physics. The code, on the other hand, made my eyes and ears glaze over evey time.

I was starting to install a FTM-10 on a road star but upgraded to the venture. I have the FTM-10 sitting in its box waiting for a new home. :mo money: Guess I need to put it on ebay...

ditdit

OK, so when can I expect UPS to deliver my new FTM-10? Give me a crack at it before it hits fleebay

Ok, another slow kid question: I note that the ARRL's running on a Linux system. Does anyone know if the online prep courses actually work with Linux systems. They mention a Firefox plugin, which seems like a good sign, though I use Opera. Still a lot of the net turns out to be Windows only no matter what it's running on.

Just checking before dropping the change to play. I'm already arguing with the State of Indiana about their sites being Windows only. I don't want to join ARRL then immediately start b****ing.

Thanks for your patience, guys.