IGNORED

Local bikers protest checkpoint

Owen

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I guess when they do a safety inspection on 18 wheelers at weigh stations it's profiling and against their rights?? A few states have yearly safety inspection requirements... I might be in the minority, but I think it's a good thing.... Maybe giving out Tootsi-Pops, if they pass, might make them feel better.... :)

I'll give the LEO's the benefit of the doubt on this one. For many bikers the riding season also means the drinking/riding season.

If they use this as an opportunity to nit-pick and just write tickets that's a horse of a different color!

Boomer....who only worries about Immigration Officers cuz dem pygmies are not US citizens.:whistling:

:bang head: Of course they are "profiling" them. They (LEO's) are always profiling. If someone gets a parking ticket because the meter wasn't fed... they are being profiled. Stop a vehicel for a tail light out. The vehicle was profiled. Get pulled over for running a red light... you were profiled. When will it ever end... :crying:

:15_8_211[1]:

I SWORE to my wife, (and myself) that I was not going to get into this topic, but I can't resist. I'll try very hard not to get too political, but with this topic, I'm not sure that's possible. But I'll try, so here goes...

When the US Supreme Court approved sobriety check points in 1990-ish, there were several criteria that had to be met. First, they had to be publicly announced in advance through the print and/or electronic media. The announcement has to include exact times and dates of the checkpoints. Next, they had to be random in nature. That meant that officers had to stop either every vehicle, or every other, or every third, or fourth, etc (you get the idea). They couldn't just say we're going to stop every red Mustang, or black pick-up truck, or silver Cadillac, tractor-trailer, or guess what, motorcycle.

Here in PA (I'm not sure about other states on this one), police are also allowed to conduct un-announced, but still random, checkpoints for license, registration, insurance, etc. You don't see it much in our area, but they can do it. But again, the randomness of it is still required. To stop only a certain type of vehicle, I'm not sure is legal. I guess we'll find out when the courts rule on it.

And yes, before someone chimes in about commercial vehicles, the US Supreme Court has also ruled on that, as a separate issue from the sobriety/motorists random checkpoints. Those vehicles can legally be pulled from the roadways and inspected. The SC has deemed that to be of such importance to the safety of the motoring public, they allow it.

It makes me wonder if the DOT is using that case law as justification to inspect motorcycles only...hmmm. Again, we'll see what the courts say, because I'm sure someone will bring this to their attention, if they haven't already. Whatever they decide we'll all have to live with, just like another recent, unpopular decision of theirs. Sorry, was that too political? Don

"We're actually protecting them as much as anything,'' said Senior Trooper Andy Sinquefield, of the Georgia State Patrol. "We're making sure they're compliant, but at the same time, it's making the motorists around them more aware by seeing them in here that motorcycles are on the road.''

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:If you can't tell them the truth baffle'em with BS!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::D

In Missouri we are by ordered to have our motorcycles, vehicles ,or any licensed vehicle safety inspected by an official with the Missouri State Highway Patrol. These inspection stations provide the service once they are approved and their mechanics are trained and certified. Some States do NOT do that so the safety issue may be a good thing.

NOW saying that, we (mo) have randon checkpoints on a regular basis. If you are legal its a momentary stop and you are on your way. I support them. For our boaters their are special checkpoints targeting ONLY boats. I agree with that. Bringin awareness to anything can not be a bad thing. If they get stupid with it thats another story. But I personally would have absolutly NO issue with being singled out and inspected as a bike rider, boater, walker, or whatever it is. I do not do anything illegal to worry about it. Just my opinion.

i just got back from daytona...... i wasn't stopped , by anyone, going down or back......i did see a lot of patrols...maybe i got lucky...

well, i just read the article...i went through Sav. on tues. and Thur..so i missed it........i liked the officer's statement about making people aware of motorcycles.....i made some people aware of motorcycles also...glad my stebel was working

Edited by jlh3rd

So I guess when they do a safety inspection on 18 wheelers at weigh stations it's profiling and against their rights?? A few states have yearly safety inspection requirements... I might be in the minority, but I think it's a good thing.... Maybe giving out Tootsi-Pops, if they pass, might make them feel better.... :)

Commercial vehicles have completely different regulations. Apples to oranges.. It would only be fair to stop all motorcycles this week (because it is bike week at Daytona) if they had stopped all sporty and muscle cars last month (when it was speed week in Daytona)

If they want safety then target teenagers on cell phones, housewifes with a car load of sreaming brats, couples having there knock down drag out on the highway takes the licence AND the cars of drunk drivers and thats just a start. there's a few motorcyclist out there that need cops attention but start with those who do the killing

the only problem i have with this is they are funding this with federal money and not there state money, no need for our fed money to be spent for one states inspections of only one type of transportation. fund it with there states money and pull over cars , trucks, and bikes and then most people won't have a problem with it.:2cents:

If they want safety then target teenagers on cell phones, housewifes with a car load of sreaming brats, couples having there knock down drag out on the highway takes the licence AND the cars of drunk drivers and thats just a start. there's a few motorcyclist out there that need cops attention but start with those who do the killing

OK, how do you suggest they do that?? Geeze, it's a safety equipment check, not a nutzoid check...

OK, how do you suggest they do that?? Geeze, it's a safety equipment check, not a nutzoid check...

If they can't do REAL safety check then leave the bikes alone!!!!! let me ask how many of you would get out on 95 with bad tires, brakes etc.? Blow a front tire at interstate speeds and things start happening real quick and none of it good!! this is hassarment pure,simple and nothing else. To many riders say my bike is fine and I'm doing nothing wrong well you just handed a handfull of freedom to the troopers (government) Make no mistake they (government) want motorcycles off the road reasons?look it up, two of the biggest is loud pipes and insurance lobby. So the next time you see or stopped at a motorcyle only CP know that you are a target

BTW I'm for safety Checks but all vechicles should be stopped maybe they catch a few more drunk drivers

Hey Arcs&Sparks,

"Make no mistake they (government) want motorcycles off the road. Look it up, two of the biggest is loud pipes and insurance lobby". What are you talking about? I don't understand.

you chose out of context (in typical politician fashion)--- address the other points if you want to maintain your credibility

Looks good to me. Their not profiling, their performing a check point for ALL motorcycles. Profiling would be stopping only hd's with long haired operators! After reading their state stats for fatalities, etc it looks like a good thing. Troopers get some overtime and hopefully they take some folks off the road that don't need to be there, fine the ones that aren't legal, and have a good day to those that are squared away.

Edited by jfoster