IGNORED

Cleaning tips

Reddog170

Ok on my 83 I have a few things I want to clean up for looks. One is on the right side cove. The tab on the tail of the fairing broke so the previous owner just duck taped it in place. I can fix the tab but how do I remove the tape remains without damaging the paint? The second is the windshield, it has like a mild fog to it. How can I get it nice and clear again? Or should I just get a new one? The third is the aluminum has a white oxidation, what do you recomend to remove this and protect it? Thank You, Shaun

The duck tape should peel off and Goo-be-gone will take off the left over glue. I have found that a paste type car wax will sometimes do wonders on a windshield. If it is really bad you can get one with a very mild abrasive and buff it out. For the aluminum covers on the engine I removed them and using paint stripper got all the old clear off. Then sanded and buffed until they shone nicely and sprayed new clear coat. Was quite a bit of work but looks good.

GooGone for the tape residue, or just plain peanut butter or margarine.

The windshield is most likely toast, but you can try a plastic cleaner and then use an aluminum cleaner wax to fix it for now. The other thing that works for a while is called Stripper Juice, but it's only temporary. There are kits available for clearing the fog off your headlight lenses, not sure how good that would work.

The aluminum cover have a clear coat on them, so you'll have to strip the clear coat off and the polish them. After that you can clearcoat them again, but my experience is that it only lasts a couple of seasons and then you have to do it again.

1st picture, cover were done 2 years ago

2nd picture, just newly polished, but not clear coated.

Windshield us Johnsons clear coat scratch remover and you will be amazed how it works. Might take 4 or 5 applications but it only takes a minute. For the Aluminum polish it with either Mothers or Blue Magic aluminum polish. This takes a little work but is worth it.

If the screen is fogged more than likely the PO has used a product on it that has already damaged it. If it was just light swirls showing Plexus is a great product to help control that but it takes regular usage to keep it up.

These screens have a protective coating on them and once it's damaged ......well.......it ain't going to ever be the same.

I put up with the swirls for three season and finally gave in and bought a new one from Cee Bailys. They had a special going on so it was only $117.00 with shipping.

There are several supplies out there and aftermaket ones on fleabay all the time.

Mike