IGNORED

Aspencade????

barend

A friend of mine dropped by last night to show of his '86 Aspencade with 86K miles which he bought for $1000. By the outside lights it looks like it is pretty decent. He plans to ride it until he finishes customizing his wing's paint job and offered to sell it to me at that time for the same 1000.

Without other research (you guys are it so far), I imagine that you guys are going to tell me that at that price I can't go wrong?? How about the bike itself? Problem areas (alternator?)? How does it compare to my '83 Royale? Or is that like apples and oranges?

Thanks!

We need to see pictures of course. :) If it is in decent shape, that is probably a good price. The alternator would be something to check though. I know that Honda had some issues with the alternators on some of the Wings and the main thing was that I think the engine had to be pulled to repair them. I'm not sure what year models were affected though. I'm sure somebody else will chime in with the answer.

I think all years of the 1200 had the alternator issue. It was basically caused by a weak connector in the harness. It would slowly deteriorate causing the stator to eventually die. If caught early it could be corrected by removing the connector and soldering the wires instead.

Many people have also put on an "exterior" car alternator kit, called the Poor Boy kit. No more alt problems. I personally think it is rather ugly, but it solves the problem without pulling the engine. There are write ups on some of the Goldwing forums about it.

Most people I know who have/had the 1200 are pretty fanatic about them. The major issue other than the alternator is the shortage of parts and accessories. Just like on the 1st Gen Venture, it's getting harder and harder to find them.

If I could buy one in nice shape for $1000 I'd be all over it. You could part it out and make a killing (if you were so inclined).

Joe

I have a friend with an 86 Aspencade and he loves it. Lots of storage space and dependable. Now I feel my 84 is more fun to ride and feels sportier. I know it is faster but I am hurting when it comes to the storage that he has on longer trips (hence the trailer) The leg room or seating position on the Honda is not as comfortable to me. When I get on it I feel like I'm sitting on a box with wheels. The 84 VR feels like I'm "in" it.

For that price if it is in good shape you can't go wrong.

I have a friend with an 86 Aspencade and he loves it. Lots of storage space and dependable. Now I feel my 84 is more fun to ride and feels sportier. I know it is faster but I am hurting when it comes to the storage that he has on longer trips (hence the trailer) The leg room or seating position on the Honda is not as comfortable to me. When I get on it I feel like I'm sitting on a box with wheels. The 84 VR feels like I'm "in" it.

For that price if it is in good shape you can't go wrong.

If you don't want it let me know I'll take it. As for the stator don't add anything extra (lights and such) and it could last another 100,000 miles. I know a guy close buy that has over 300,000 miles on a 86 1200 and still runs well.

I bought a new 84 apencade back in 84 and ran the wheels off that thing pulling a camp trailer most of the time. Never could wear that bike out, nor did I ever have any mechanical problems of any kind with it. Finally sold it and moved on to another bike. I think the ashtray got full.;)

Those were mostly the issues I had heard about in the past so no big surprises there. I did misstate the year it is an 84 so only a year younger then my VR.

Of course on the VR I am still facing the possibility of a cracked frame and the second gear issue.

I'll see about getting some pics if i do decide to get it (when Kevin is done farting around with the other one)

Thanks