IGNORED

Martin Fabrication HID Driving Lights

I have completed the installation of an HID headlight and a pair of Martin Fabrication HID running lights. Attached are some pics when off, when on, and the switches (on and off). I added a switch for the headlight since it dies during starting (voltage drop will not keep the HID burning).

Am looking forward to burning a hole through the darkness soon. Need to get at least another 6 inches of snow melted off the back drive though so I can get the bike out of the shop.

C'mon Spring!!!

RR

Both the switches and the fork lights are from Martin Fabrication (Google is your friend).

If you have the chrome trim around your front fender, the bracket fits perfectly between the fender and the trim. In fact, there is a spacer in between that is replaced by the mounting bracket. Almost like it was made for it.

The lights are easy to install, however, mounting the other stuff is kind of a pain. Each side has its own ballast/igniter (one unit about the size of a pack of smokes) that need mounted in the fairing. They both fit nicely in the throttle side with some double sided tape. You will need to get the extension wiring since the stock wiring is only about 20 inches. MF has a 30" extention (one for each) even though it does not show up on their website - you have to ask.

I know how bright the headlight is at night on the road. Really looking forward to the retina searing lumens being thrown down the street.

RR

These are 35W each lights. Therefore, they draw 3 amps each. I am still running the stock stator.

The headlight also pulls 35W. However, that is less than the stock headlight of 55W (I think) so I get some savings there. If I run all 3 HID lights without the standard running lights, it actually pulls less power than the previous standard head/running lights.

I have a volt meter on the bike (LED, not digital) and it displays green with all lights blazing - at high idle (with choke on).

RR

What I would love to find is HID lamps to replace my PAR36 highway lights.. I've given up on the LED due to the radio interference but the HID would work just fine.. 35W each for HID is the same wattage as the 7616 for example (36.5)..

What I would love to find is HID lamps to replace my PAR36 highway lights.. I've given up on the LED due to the radio interference but the HID would work just fine.. 35W each for HID is the same wattage as the 7616 for example (36.5)..

Agreed. I would love that too. (With an additional set of HIDs up there, I could vaporize anything that got in my way.)

Actually, I would replace the PAR36s with the HIDs and move the MF HIDs to the KLR.

RR

The place I got my H4 HIDs also sells the H3 version which you could then use in the highway lights.. I've looked into retrofitting my existing lights but that ain't gonna work..

My friends have a newer model VStar that has H3 lights in them.. seeing how a lot of my 05 VStar parts are interchangeable with my RSV, I wonder if their light bar would work on a RSV.. Just one of them things that might need to be buck-sheed..

if you do find a solution drop me a line.

I currently have the Moon Shinez white driving light / signal light on the RSV.. the white of those lights match the HID well enough but makes any PAR36 bulb look yellow.. I'm almost tempted to ditch the light bar all together so that I can get that all white light look on the front of the bike.. but... maybe... I dunno..

Still gotta figure out how to make those Moon Shinez slow down their blinking.. (load equalizers won't work due to the special circuitry in the lights..)

The VStar lamps will work. I put them on my RSV with the RSV light bar. So, if one burns out, easy replacement.

And these were the H3 bulbs? Was it the whole light bar you installed or just the lamps themselves?

Cheers

And these were the H3 bulbs? Was it the whole light bar you installed or just the lamps themselves?

The lamps themselves installed onto the Venture light bar. Replaced the OEM H3 bulbs with PIAA Extreme White 4150K H3s.

The lamps themselves installed onto the Venture light bar. Replaced the OEM H3 bulbs with PIAA Extreme White 4150K H3s.

Oh sweet..

Not to be a pest about it but any chance you got a part number where I can look these up to see if they would retro fit the way I'm hoping they do?

How hard would they be to swap out on an existing light bar?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Oh sweet..

Not to be a pest about it but any chance you got a part number where I can look these up to see if they would retro fit the way I'm hoping they do?

How hard would they be to swap out on an existing light bar?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

V Star Passing Lamps (Halogen): STR-4NK35-10-01

Venture Passing Lamp Mounts: STR-4XY35-40-00

Get 'em here.