Hey Guys!------I changed the "thermastat housing" and all the hoses on my 89 Royale and now it seems to be running "hot"---any ideas why this could be?---I have the plastic drain plug at the bottom of the radiator with the "off" mark at the "2-O-clock" position like someone on here said was the correct place for it-----It seemed to cool down some after I returned from the initial run and let it idle with the fan runnining------I actually revved it up to about 9000 rpm's one quick time to see if maybe something was stuck and the temp guage seemed to drop to about 3/4 way up (at least it was in the green area after I did that)----I used the same thermostat that came with the housing because it had only 29,000 mi. on it---Do you guys think maybe it was just kinda stuck?----i sure hope that's all it is:fingers-crossed-emo..................................................Larry

Maybe air in the line, or as you suggest, maybe the thermostat was kind of stuck. Is it running normal now?

I agree with Bob, I think you had an area that was not filled and was moving air. You could probably move the drain valve at the lower front to allow the coolant to bypass the thermostat and that may help.

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

Just a thought, but could you have put the thermostat in the wrong way?? I'm not sure if it can even be done, but it worth a check. Try turning the drain valve to 'on' and see if it cools down. 'On' by-passes the trermo....

Edited by Condor

I caa

me home from work this evening and haven't had the time to ride the bike---But as I thought about it today at work I'm thinking you geniuses that came up with the "Air in the system" might just be on to something----I remember it "gurggling" like crazy after I stopped it last night---then needing more coolant----also---I started it up when i got home this evening and let it just sit and Idle for about 20 minutes and the Temp gauge stayed in the Lower Quarter of the GREEN---Seems to me that if she was gonna run hot it would have happened sitting there with no air blowing thru the radiator--anyway---I hope you guys were correct about the "Air Pocket"----thanks..............Larry:fingers-crossed-emo

When I fill the cooling system after major work I always run the engine with the radiator cap off to vent any trapped air. I'll let it run until the coolant starts to circulate. When the thermostat opens, top off the coolant and install the cap. If you just filled the radiator and put the cap on, you still had air in it.

ALWAYS fill while on the side stand. Idle w/cap off. Keep topping up. Till the rad. is warm and the coolant starts to overflow the filler neck. Put cap on. AND make sure the remote reservoir is at the 1/2 full mark at least. Many forget about the remote reservoir on the right side in the fairing.