IGNORED

LED Headlamps/Passing Lamps

I am looking at the LED headlamps and passing lamps sold by customdynamics.com. Is anyone using these yet? I think they're pretty new. I am thinking this might be a better way to save amps than LED turn signals/running lights and/or swapping out the stator for the HO one. Thanks for any and all input. Don

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking at the LED headlamps and passing lamps sold by customdynamics.com. Is anyone using these yet? I think they're pretty new. I am thinking this might be a better way to save amps than LED turn signals/running lights and/or swapping out the stator for the HO one. Thanks for any and all input. Don

That does look interesting with only a 2.5 amp draw on low beam. I wonder how that compares with the standard 55 watt bulb, I don't know how to convert that to amps for comparison.:confused24: Ron

hi don

i have a hid head light and the driving lights are led's on the '99 rsv. i feel this is a great combo. but the hid does have some quirks every now and then. like it will shut down when you start the bike. i have had it shut down on me going down the highway late at night ( didn't have the driving lights on at the time ). but you were asking about a led head light so i realy can't say anything about it.

reguards

don c.

Jactana, to get the wattage you multiply the voltage times the current (12 times 2.5) equals 30 watts for LED bulb. For current you divide voltage into wattage (55 divided by 12) equals 4.6 amps for OEM bulb.

hi don

i have a hid head light and the driving lights are led's on the '99 rsv. i feel this is a great combo. but the hid does have some quirks every now and then. like it will shut down when you start the bike. i have had it shut down on me going down the highway late at night ( didn't have the driving lights on at the time ). but you were asking about a led head light so i realy can't say anything about it.

reguards

don c.

Don,

I just purchased the HID Headlamp (High and Low HID) and DaMoose got the HID (low HID and high regular) this weekend at the IMS down in Greenville SC. I installed DaMoose's while i was there and really liked it. But now the driving lights look YELLOW. Both of use would like to make it where they look white to match the HID. Where did you get the LED Driving lights for the star light bar?

Jactana, to get the wattage you multiply the voltage times the current (12 times 2.5) equals 30 watts for LED bulb. For current you divide voltage into wattage (55 divided by 12) equals 4.6 amps for OEM bulb.

I knew someone would chime in with the answer. Thanks very much! Ron:lightbulb:

I've been looking at the same lights. I like everything except the price. Waiting on someone to try them and get some feedback, so please let me know how they work if someone gets them or already has them.

That does look interesting with only a 2.5 amp draw on low beam. I wonder how that compares with the standard 55 watt bulb, I don't know how to convert that to amps for comparison.:confused24: Ron

Ohms Law circle

http://www.hvacwebtech.com/images/pie.gif

I ride with a buddy that has a Fatboy{not me} which he put a LED headlight in.He got it from a Volvo truck dealer and was told its the same one the Military uses in their trucks.I have a high power PIAA bulb in my headlight and his out performs mine in visibility.It has low and high beams just like a regular headlight and made a noticeable differance on his amp guage.It was very expensive though,about $225 if I remember.Hope this helps,Herb.

I see that Kuryakyn offers them for the Harley. They also have the passing lights. Both could probably be made to work on the RSV but they too are pricey.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/3964/LED-Headlamp-Passing-Lamps

The thing I dislike about the LED passing lamps I have seen in the wild is that they are a spread pattern, rather than aimed like standard passing lamps. If your goal is daytime visibility, they are excellent. If your goal is to not annoy oncoming vehicles at night: fail.

Don,

I just purchased the HID Headlamp (High and Low HID) and DaMoose got the HID (low HID and high regular) this weekend at the IMS down in Greenville SC. I installed DaMoose's while i was there and really liked it. But now the driving lights look YELLOW. Both of use would like to make it where they look white to match the HID. Where did you get the LED Driving lights for the star light bar?

I haven't bought them yet. I'm trying to decide if they're worth the cost. I'm considering cost, electrical draw, length of service, visibility, etc. Here is the link:

http://www.customdynamics.com/led_passing_lamps.htm

I ride with a buddy that has a Fatboy{not me} which he put a LED headlight in.He got it from a Volvo truck dealer and was told its the same one the Military uses in their trucks.I have a high power PIAA bulb in my headlight and his out performs mine in visibility.It has low and high beams just like a regular headlight and made a noticeable differance on his amp guage.It was very expensive though,about $225 if I remember.Hope this helps,Herb.

Good Info, Herb. Thanks. I'm leaning toward taking the plunge. Like you said, they're a little pricey, so I'll have to get permission from the Boss first. Thanks again, Don

This has been covered already a few months ago..

The Custom Dynamic LED passing lamps, the ones for Harleys will work on the RSV with a simple connector change, and they are nice and insanely bright.. and EXPENSIVE.. but they work well if you have the HID and SunSpots front signal lights.. gives you that brilliant bright "WHITE" light look that catches cagers' attention.. I liked the look..

But you'll never hear your radios ever again.. These were TONS worse that Green Marine LED lamps.. and those were horrible for RF interference.. it's that bad.

Even trying to listen to an MP3 player through your bike's speakers will be near impossible.. simply way too much interference. I tried it on my bike and my buddy's RSV and it's the same thing.. insanely loud interference..

So if you NEVER ever listen to the AM / FM or MP3 tunes through your bike's sound system, those lights are the cat's meow..

Save your coins, wait for something else to come down the pipe line that is properly designed and constructed for this purpose..

That's the way it rolls.. Sorry. I'm sending mine back..