IGNORED

Need to adjust steering head?

I've got my RSV on a lift to replace the fairing. While there I checked for looseness of the steering head bearings by grabbing the front end & rocking it. Never had any problems with it but thought I'd check while on the lift. I've got 40k on it. Don't see any looseness at all. So do I need to remove and retighten the nut or just leave well enough alone?

Also, is there any greasing to be done? I don't see any grease around the area, but do see dirt that looks like it's glommed onto grease that's seeped out over the years...not a lot, but some.

Just wondering if I need to do anything or if I should just leave it alone?

Thanks for the help in advance...JR

Below are two links, first one is a writeup by V7Goose on the steering head bearings on an RSV.

Second is a shameless plug for the tool that Yamaha recommends to use when you service the bearings. This one is $23, Yamaha's is only around $70.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41310&highlight=rsv+grease+steering

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54654

Gary

If you are actually replacing the fairing, that means that 90% of the work is done as far as repacking the head bearings. I would absolutely do it. Most do not have enough grease from the factory.

Is there a tech article on how to do the repacking? If it's just lifting the bearings out, greasing them, and putting them back...yea I can handle that, but don't want to get too carried away. I read Goose's post but when it comes to using a torch or having to cut things to get the bearings out, that's way beyond my comfort level. I'm wondering if what Goose describes is normal, or was that a worst case cuz the bearings were shot?

I've got the tightening wrench and torque wrench, so that's not a problem...and since the fairing is completely off...if I'm gonna do anything, now's the time.

The only hard part (once you have the inner fairing totally removed) is if you have to change the bearings.

If there is nothing wrong with your bearings, all you need to do is drop the steering head and grease them. The top bearing can just be lifted out and greased normally. The lower bearing will be stuck on the shaft, so you just use your fingers (or a needle tip grease gun) to mash the grease into the rollers while the bearings are still on the shaft. Not hard at all.

Goose