IGNORED

CCW Advice Needed

BigG

I know this is kind of an odd subject to be bringing up on a motorcycle forum but I've seen a few posts on the subject so I know there is some knowledge here. So, I'm asking for opinions. My co-pilot found, fell in love with and bought a Smith & Wesson P frame .38 bodyguard that she plans to carry in her purse or a fanny pack. Our other pistol is a S&W .38 with a 5 inch barrel, not all that CC able. I kinda like the P frame but I'm not sure its the one for me, the grips are kinda small and I have large hands. So I'm askin' for ideas on what else to try my hand at. I plan to carry whatever it is in my boot or inside my waistband. Oh, in case it makes a difference, I'm a lefty. I really don't want to end up in a situation where she plays the role of the cavalry. I'd never hear the end of it if she did.

you can buy differant styles of handles for most guns. they have small and large grips and several differant materials they are made out of. you can problly go to a gun store or gun show to see a good varity of them. i have a s&w 38 with small(wood) grips and a taurus with larger(wood) grips, with a little reworking the taurus grips fits on the s&w nicley. it fits my hand better. some of the rubber grips are bigger too.

Depends on what you prefer. Do you like wheel guns or autoloaders?

The Ruger LCR is a polymer framed wheel gun. It's available in 38spl and 357mag. They are very lightweight and easily concealable. It is not a gun that would be fun to shoot a lot at the range.

In Texas I carried a Ruger LCP in a Nemesis pocket holter. It's chambered in 380acp. It is equipped with a Crimson Trace laser sight.

The Smith&Wesson BodyGuard would also be a good pocket carry 380.

Many manufacturers are starting to sell single stack 9mm pistols. KelTec PF9, Ruger LC9, Kahr PM9, Taurus PT709, Sig P290, etc.

There are many different grips you can get, one of them should work for you. Gun shows, web stores and your local shop are good places too look. It just takes test fitting to find what works for you. I like single stack in .40 fits me well. When it comes to caliber, BIGGER is better. .38 wheel guns are good on hot days when it's hard to conceal an auto loader.

If you would consider an auto... my daily carry is a Sig P238, .380acp. Easily concealed and capable. I am small in stature and the fit is great. Very comfortable on the bike IWB at 4 o'clock. If not on the bike I prefer the Sig P239 DAK, 9mm. It's a single stack and small enough to be comfortable to shoot. I visit the range monthly and have run thousands of rounds through both with no problem.

I have a Bersa Thunder .380 that's easy to hide. Just be sure to stick with OEM magazines. The Pro Line's I have have a tendency to jam.

I second the Bersa because it fits large hands nicely. A very well made licensed copy of the Walther PPK with a fantastic safety.

:farmer:

I normally prefer a wheel gun because in my little brain, they're a lot more dependable. That being said I carried a Kel-Tec P11 in my front pocket for years. Didn't work that well in jeans, but cargo pants or shorts worked just fine. A 5 shot snub nose 38 with a bobbed hammer would probably my carry weapon of choice now, just make sure it's rated for +P ammo. Every little bit helps. Another thing to keep in mind with a concealed carry weapon is it doesn't necessarily have to fill up your hand like a target or hunting pistol would. You want to be able to hold it well enough to control it, but still it should be small enough to easily conceal.

If a Canadian may ask questions on this subject... I have no knowledge of fire arms ..... as we do not carry weapons as you do in th US ..... some do own hunting weapons but not "daily carry" weapons.

How much does one of these weapons you are discussing cost.... the ammo cost and do you have firing ranges around to practice at close by?

Just wondering from the outside looking in......

They range in price from $130 for a Ravens, Hi-Point, Bryco to as much as you're willing to spend for a completely custom piece.

My handguns range from $300-$500.

I can buy 9mm ammo for around $10 a 50 round box and I live out in the country, so I can shoot out my back door. There is a local range that I have yet to visit since I have moved to Kentucky that is supposed to be nice.

In Amarillo, I went to 3 different ranges, 2 of which were indoor. The other was the police range. It is open to the public 5 days a week.

If a Canadian may ask questions on this subject... I have no knowledge of fire arms ..... as we do not carry weapons as you do in th US ..... some do own hunting weapons but not "daily carry" weapons.

How much does one of these weapons you are discussing cost.... the ammo cost and do you have firing ranges around to practice at close by?

Just wondering from the outside looking in......

Hand guns are like anything else. Cheap, ($200) to expensive, ($1000+). Reliability is of utmost importance in a 'carry' gun. If you need it, its got to work. There are many good hand gun manufacturers out there. Its the Ford vs Chevy thing for most guys. I prefer Sig Sauer. Ammo for target/practice is not really expensive. I buy 1000 rounds of 9mm for under $400. 30 to 40 cents per round for practice is not bad. Defense ammo runs maybe 55 to 80 cents per round but you don't usually buy bulk. Here in Texas gun ranges, both indoor and outdoor, are easy to find. Shooting competitions and training is also easily accessible. I practice at least monthly, sometimes more often. Just like riding the scooter, it's a social thing. Only difference is this group of friends enjoy shooting.

This is only my personal opinion.

I have been looking at that Ruger in the +p 38. That is a nice stout little round there.

I normally carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45 ACP. Carry that everywhere.. and easy (enough) to conceal. THere is a tank bag / fanny pack that is avaialble... I don't like it. It is a nice piece... not for me.

Been looking for a smaller weapon to tuck almost anywhere.

Since my Distal Bicept Tendon surgery last year, and I was out of commission for several months... loading a weapon was difficult to say the least... especially racking the slide (yes, there are alternative techniques I can use in a fight if necessary) and seating a magazine. I have practiced these techniques on occasion, but actually losing the use complete use of my support hand, was an eye opener.

The baby 1911 is AWESOME, but am looking for a baby hand cannon wheel gun... the Ruger is towards the top of that list.

You mention a "P" frame S&W. Not really familiar with that one. The "J" frame Smiths are great little revolvers. Grips are readily available in all sizes and calibers are .38 or .357. Put on a set of crimson trace laser grips and you've got the best "quick" site setup going. They're available in both a small and larger size for these revolvers.

Brenda and I both have been carrying Ruger's SP101, chambered in .357, for over twenty years now. Love the simplicity, Stainless Steel, and stopping power. Good, dependable, 5 shot wheelgun. Whatever you carry....Practice, practice, and then practice some more. IMHO. If I ever change, it will be to a hammerless version.

I have a Charter Arms Bullpup 44 spcl, 5 shot, brushed stainless revolver that I normally carry. Small enough to conceal, but has a big punch, recoil feels a little less than a 357 mag to me. I also carry a Kel-Tec P3-AT 380 auto sometimes. Will fit in my jeans pocket easily. Have the 9 shot extended magazine that will give a little longer grip, but does not fit in pocket.

This has been discussed here many times and ALWAYS has resulted in the thread being deleted. This thread has been OK so far. Recommendations were asked for and have been given. The thread is NOT about why anybody chooses to carry, have they ever needed to use their firearm, or any other political or moral discussion. This is NOT a thread to debate the right or desire to carry or whether or not it should be allowed.

The fact is, in MANY places it is 100% legal to carry and this member asked for suggestions.

This is not a gun debate and if it turns into one, the thread will be deleted.

This has been discussed here many times and ALWAYS has resulted in the thread being deleted. This thread has been OK so far. Recommendations were asked for and have been given. The thread is NOT about why anybody chooses to carry, have they ever needed to use their firearm, or any other political or moral discussion. This is NOT a thread to debate the right or desire to carry or whether or not it should be allowed.

The fact is, in MANY places it is 100% legal to carry and this member asked for suggestions.

This is not a gun debate and if it turns into one, the thread will be deleted.

'nuff said... post deleted

Just on a note, I go into one certain plant to do work and had to sign a paper stating that I knew better then to carry a knife or weapon within that company. That includes a pocket knife that I use for work Ect.

The funny thing is I am able to use a razor like box cutter! Go figure!

I really never expected this much feedback, but I'm glad I got it. There's a gun show coming up this weekend and it looks like I've got my work cut out. I'll have to handle a few more to see what fits, in my hand and in my boot. Lots of good ideas here. Thanks. Just so you know, I carried a service revolver for a number of years and, and at least stateside, never had to unholster it except to shoot targets. It's been more than 35 year since I carried a concealed weapon and the industry has changed a lot since then. I started the thread to tap into the vast store of group knowledge the lives on this list and ya'll came through. I see a handgun or long gun as a tool built to do a specific job. That being, make a hole in something from a ways away. Like any tool, they do best when used as intended in the hands of a skilled craftsman. Things being what they are today, I just like to add another tool to my toolkit....and give momma some backup if she needs it.

ok just one more suggestion....my carry waepon when I had the ccw liscence was a ruger dc95 in 9mm. A little on the larger size with a 3.9 inch barrel but I still have it and with practice it is a tack driver at short yardage. ANd the wife loves the feel of this weapon. When I sold all of my carry weapons this is the one she asked me to keep.

Just a suggestion. Like I said its a little large but with the wright shoulder rig or waist holster it worked great.

David

I pack a Springfield Armory XD-9 subcompact (3" barrel) and/or a Bersa .380. Both have been very reliable. If that does not work, I building an SBR (Short Barreled Rifle). Just awaiting my Tax Stamp from the BATF. It will be a total length of 24" when stock is collapsed. The upper is a .556, 7" barrel, gas piston, long stroke bolt assembly. The lower is a CMMG, with a Greissele SSA 2 stage trigger, with a PWS enhances buffer tube with all of the MagPul furniture I can put on it. Optics is still up in the air as I am deciding either getting an Aimpoint or an Eotech. Reason I mentioned an SBR, as it will fit in the saddle bags or under my jacket. On the wish list, a suppressor (.308) as it's a 7" barrel which will sustain the gas pressure much better.

BEER30