IGNORED

Kickstand switch same??

Yammer Dan

Will a 99 kickstand switch fit my 85?? I'm tired of playing with the one I have it just don't want to get better and there is one on Flea-Bay I could grab cheap.. I know I'm asking for trouble putting 2nd Gen parts on it. Probally slow it down quite a bit!!!

The 2nd gen kickstand may be too fast for a 1st gen as you already found out.And today we had a bunch of 2nd gens and 2 harleys show up at Greenville and the only 1st gen finally showed up about the time we was half way through our meal.

Only two of the wires work to cut power I think. Not sure but jumper wire between two of the terminals in the connector and it bypasses the switch. Still betting it would work if it would plug in. I think I'll pull the other one and try greasing again. Don't remember what I used on it.

Don't waste your time, Dan, just get a new switch and be done with it!!!They really aren't THAT expensive.

Yes, you need to use the 1st gen switch to have the functions work right for both the ignition circuit and the starter circuit. You can wire the sidestand switch so you still can start it with the kickstand up, but it also makes it possible to start it in gear with the kickstand down. That's asking for trouble...

Still betting it would work if it would plug in.

Since one connector is a three pin & the other is a two pin I will take that bet, and raise you a set a fake cooling fin side covers.

But, yes, you are correct, it probably could be made to work with enough farting around. Both 1st Gen & 2nd Gen tie the wires together, a jumper here, a splice there, a little Blue Magic Smoke.

There are several on ebay that are for a 1st gen.

One of them is even New, Old Stock. Ebay item # 180626822239

Gary

If I am right it is a three wire plug on the 1st Gen. I had it jumpered but didn't like the thought. That 85 sat for years so it has a few things that stick. With only 19k couldn't be worn out and I'm stubborn. Not the bucks just should have been a easy fix and didn't work. I jumpered it to get it home when I rode it 200+ miles with only front brake and very little clutch!!