I suppose I'm waiting and hoping that someone has come up with a solution that doesn't require me tearing all the fairing off to get to some kinda adjustment---I have run the adjusting screw all the way out to give it as much slack as possible and it STIL will not go back into the slots--I install the backl one first--then tried to rotate the throttle to install the front one--no luck--reversed procedure--no luck--.....evry tiny bit I rotatye the throttle to install one side it pulls from the other side removing that much cable----I'm going NUTS here!!!!:confused07::bighug:

What might help is to block the carbs at about half throttle.

Pull the left side cover and you will be able to see carb linkage. Use a small piece of wood to block linkage arm between the front and rear carb from going all the way shut. May have someone use a screwdriver as a block while you work on cables at handle bar.

Next option isn't real pretty. You have to pull the left front fairing and the inner fairing to get at the cruise control throttle cable junction box and split cables there.

But if you got them off without doing this, then blocking carbs open should work.

Gary

Shoot I Reversed those suckers so many times I lost count (lol)!:(:confused24:

I haven't had these things apart all that often but I do recall that when I did, they can sometimes be a bit "tricky" to get back on. I've found that using a needle nose pliers helps.

Shoot I Reversed those suckers so many times I lost count (lol)!:(:confused24:

I snapped a throttle cable on mine and was going to attempt a change on my own, but this settles it, i am taking my 85 in for the fix after hearing how many issues youre havin!

Good luck with it!

Brian

Hey Guys!---Guess what I found AFTER I broke the white plastic retainer on the throttle?----An adjustment screw just as the cable is coming off the carburator linkage!-----Now my delima is this---Does ANYBODY have a new throttle that I can purchase??---I'm looking on FleaBay but can only find an 83 model with only the on- off button and start button---Mines an 89 with the cruise controls and am not sure I can take the throttle off the 83 and make it work---.................................Thanks for all the advice Guys---and I sure hope someones got one lying around:fingers-crossed-emo.............................................Larry

Hey Guys!---Guess what I found AFTER I broke the white plastic retainer on the throttle?----An adjustment screw just as the cable is coming off the carburator linkage!-----Now my delima is this---Does ANYBODY have a new throttle that I can purchase??---I'm looking on FleaBay but can only find an 83 model with only the on- off button and start button---Mines an 89 with the cruise controls and am not sure I can take the throttle off the 83 and make it work---.................................Thanks for all the advice Guys---and I sure hope someones got one lying around:fingers-crossed-emo.............................................Larry

I believe that the twist hand grip portion is interchangeable. I may have one laying in garage if that is what you need. It is yours for shipping cost if I can find it. The black rubber hand grip part is not real pretty as I recall.

Gary

I believe that the twist hand grip portion is interchangeable. I may have one laying in garage if that is what you need. It is yours for shipping cost if I can find it. The black rubber hand grip part is not real pretty as I recall.

Gary

A new throttle tube & grip assy is listed at Partshark.com for $33.79

GRIP ASY

26H-26240-00-00

GREAT!---the twist hand grip part is exactly what I need!--Has the 2 "eyelets" in it to insert the cables through...............................I've never exchanged parts on here before--not sure how to do it (I'm an E-bay addict) lol!....................................Larry

PM sent

Gary