IGNORED

Is the RSV good to cruise at 140 KPH or 150 KPH all day long?

Two years old and ONLY 31,000 kms on it?? ouch.. you don't get out much.. I put 33,500 Miles on the RSV summer of 09, and 29,500 miles last summer.. ;)

The neck bearings on mine were very out of whack.. and though the 'bounce test' as you described showed it was OK, the pulling on the axle showed a lot of knocking in the bearings (front to back angle).. Once I got that taken care of, the bike handled SO much better..

I might be out your way next year on a cross-Canada run, we can compare notes then.. Cape Spear this summer to dip the Atlantic..

Aren't you from Hailifax??? Would you be meaning KILOMETERS and not miles??

You're retired right? I'm not, nor is my wife. We both work 5 days a week, Mon-Fri and we only do long-distance riding when we get our holidays. The rest of it is relatively local with the odd overnighter into the interior.

Like I said in a prev post .... this all might be a matter of personal interpretation of "wind effect".

I too have been riding for many, many years, mostly 2-up. I've lived in Alberta for 8 years and rode all over there. I've ridden into Sask several times. I know what heavy wind is like. Last Sept we hit some of the worst wind I've ever experienced down by Ft. MacLeod ... it was one of those winds that could have blown a tractor-trailer off the road if they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time ... when a gust thru a gulley slammed them... which it did us and let me tell you, had I not been the "wind-experienced" rider I am, we would have been in the ditch.

I know from experience that a HD Ultra is rock-solid in the wind. I am saying that I just don't recall any of my frame-mounted bikes being quite as sensitive to wind gusts or turbulence as my RSV. My experience on an 1800 Wing is limited to a 2 hour test drive mostly on the freeway. I did not notice any problems whatsoever when riding near, behind, or beside rigs travelling at 120 km/h nor did I feel any instability of any kind when I took it up over 200 km/h and ran it at that for a good 2 or 3 minutes. I am not saying here that the RSV is "difficult" to ride in wind ... just to me it seems more sensitive than those frame-mount fairing bikes I did ride.

Now, I've recently installed the "levelling links" and I do run a 130 front tire so, maybe these two things combined are contributing negatively to this. I know there's no looseness in the head bearings.

In any event, it's really not that serious of an issue to that we need to beat the subject to death any further. Let's chalk it up to a "matter of opinion" and let it slide. (I guess I can say that since I started this LOL)

I've got to agree with Chris on how the RSV handles in the wind. When I rode to work on my RSV on windy days some of the bikers would ask if it was a pretty rough ride, and I would shrug my shoulders and tell them I could hardly feel the wind. And that was the truth. After 40,000 miles on the RSV (in just over two years), not one time can I remember the wind giving me a whupping. On my HD Ultra Classic, I was actually shocked at the beating I was taking the first time I rode it on a windy day. No where close to being as smooth as the RSV. IMHO the RSV can't be beat for the ride on windy days.

Glenn

Guest PlaneCrazy
Hi, I own a 2004 RSV and was wondering if the RSV is good to cruise at say 140KPH or 150 KPH all day long kind of thing.

It's a purely subjective question but when I had my 1800 Wing it could cruise all day long at 150 160 KPH no problem.

All comments are welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Chris in Red Deer, AB

No problem until you get stopped for speeding :)

I like staying around 120 on my GPS. Still not too hard on the mileage and you probably won't get stopped.

On the smaller highways like Hwy 7, which is 90km/h limit, I have to watch it with those passing lanes. A couple of times now I have been stuck behind several slower vehicles and decided to pass them all at once on the 2 km passing areas and when I get to the other side I look down and see my speed at 160-170 ... ina 90 zone! That's $5000 in fines and they take your bike away! :yikes: