IGNORED

Just FAT!!

Yammer Dan

Man I thought that sounds like optimal weight until I was told by the doctor that I was almost obese :think::crying: 6'3" 235lbs
That weight might be OK for your frame or not but it mostly depends on how your doctor calculates obesity. Some doctors have been using a faulty method of calculation.

Here is a snippet from Wikipedia about the Body Mass Index often used by some, even doctors, to judge possible obesity:

BMI provided a simple numeric measure of a person's "fatness" or "thinness", allowing health professionals to discuss over- and under-weight problems more objectively with their patients. However, BMI has become controversial because many people, including physicians, have come to rely on its apparent numerical authority for medical diagnosis, but that was never the BMI's purpose; it is meant to be used as a simple means of classifying sedentary (physically inactive) individuals with an average body composition. For these individuals, the current value settings are as follows: a BMI of 20 to 25 may indicate optimal weight; a BMI lower than 20 suggests the person is underweight while a number above 25 may indicate the person is overweight; a person may have a BMI below 20 due to disease; a number above 30 suggests the person is obese (Al C) (over 40, morbidly obese).

For a given height, BMI is proportional to weight. However, for a given weight, BMI is inversely proportional to the square of the height. So, if all body dimensions double, and weight scales naturally with the cube of the height, then BMI doubles instead of remaining the same. This results in taller people having a reported BMI that is uncharacteristically high compared to their actual body fat levels. In comparison, the Ponderal index is based on this natural scaling of weight with the third power of the height. However, many taller people are not just "scaled up" short people, but tend to have narrower frames in proportion to their height. It has been suggested that instead of squaring the body height (as the BMI does) or cubing the body height (as the Ponderal index does), it would be more appropriate to use an exponent of between 2.3 and 2.7.

[/url]

I'm 6'1" and 245, my doc says to not change a thing, I am the healthiest person he ever met. I have not had so much as a cold in over 30 years, and all of my tests are always perfect.

My doc says that the BMI indexes are BS, it would have a country full of anorexics running around.

The "charts" say I should be 185, Doc says If I get anywhere near that he will then be worried about me. His test for obesity, If you can do 30 sit-ups and 30 push-ups, your fine as is.

Back in '79 my Dr. told me I was obese. I was 6'2" and 250 lbs., with a 32 inch waist. According to his information for my height I was supposed to be 188 lbs. Yikes! I took his advice and tried to loose some weight. When I got down to 215 I looked like I had been in a death camp.

I found a new Dr. not long after that.

im 5foot 9 inches and sad to say 260 pounds. i know thats not good. i try to do my best and walk as much as i can but health problems set in at one tome 5 years ago i was 210 pounds and felt great. i was a janitor walking around 6 miles a day just cleaning the place where i worked. when i get healed up i will try and work it off.

only thing that bothers me is one of my doctors said james man can not travel on a empty stomache. then laughed and said you could make it around the world and be fine:confused24:

I don't go along with what the doctors say either. I'm about 6'2...a bit more. I'm usually between 215-220 lbs. I admit that I could stand to lose about 15 lbs. and most of that is right around the waste line. I had a doctor last year tell me that at 6'2" tall and 218 lbs. that I would be classified as obese? Really?

Well now, I can tell you this about that. Ifen you get struck by a serious health problem and you are down and out for a few weeks or more, you better darn well not be at the skinny scale that 99% of the doctors want you at. No reserve at all on your bones and you'll end up looking like the walking dead and about the same color. :eek: After learning the hard way I stay about 15 to 20 above what they think I should be. Of course this is my personal opinion and not a medical one. ;)