IGNORED

TWO things I wondered about today...

Guest Swifty

ONE: did Yamaha make a tool to fit the stator cover screw plug or am I missing a tool from the original kit? You'd think they could have put it on the end of one of the big box end wrenches. Anyways, this week I finally carved a piece of steel to fit that stupid curved slotted groove. (pics 1, 2)

TWO: what is that hole for on the bottom of the rear crankcase cover? Looks to me like Yamaha guessed wrong where the shifter shaft would come through. (pic 3)

Just wondering...is all.

I think I was told at one time that the hole in the middle drive cover was so the kick stand switch could be removed without pulling cover off.

My 1200 did not have this hole in the cover. I reused the 1200 cover on my 1300, so it is not there.

Picture below shows the cover without the hole.

Gary

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/leftrear.jpg

What do you want to do behind that cover anyway. Nothing there, except timing marks you can't adjust.

Nice shine, turned out good. Just hope it runs. :stirthepot:

I think Dingy is right as the screwdriver fits right on that hole for the switch. Someone was thinking.

Brad

Had a different bike with a slotted hole cover like that. Put a quarter in a set of ViceGrips and it worked great.

RR

That's the Way to go.

The "unused" Hole in the Middle Drive Gear Cover is USED. On a 1Gen Vmax ....

The Shift Shaft is longer on the Vmax and it comes out right there.

That's the Way to go.

The "unused" Hole in the Middle Drive Gear Cover is USED. On a 1Gen Vmax ....

The Shift Shaft is longer on the Vmax and it comes out right there.

That's what I was thinkin', of course it was a 2nd gen guy that had the wrong answer

I'm just sayin...............

Also, the inspection hole is used to rotate the camshafts correctly for valve lash adjustment...........

Edited by Dano

That's what I was thinkin', of course it was a 2nd gen guy that had the wrong answer

I'm just sayin...............

Also, the inspection hole is used to rotate the camshafts correctly for valve lash adjustment...........

Hey Vern, it was Dingy who came up with the comment and I agreed as that is what I used the hole for. :sign20:

Brad