Two weeks ago before we got all of our snow I rolled my 83 xvz12 in the house to do a little maintence. I fixed some of the plastics, changed the plugs, fixed the radio and that was it. Rolled it outside and now I have an exhaust leak. I know it is on the back bank, not sure where. Cannot feel any exhaust nor can I see any carbon deposit. How hard is the exhaust to take off for inspection? ANyody ever have anything like this happpen to them? Ideas suggestions. I have a friend who is going to let me roll it in his shop and put it on a lift to work on.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dr. Psycho

If the exhaust leak is at the top of the back of the motor, the information in the previous answers is spot on.

In additoin to this, I have had the welds crack where the back exhaust pipes go into the exhaust chamber and this caused an exhaust leak. If this is the cause, just pull the exhaust chamber (you have to pull the front cylinder exhaust pipes, the mufflers, and the two mounting nuts at the front of the chamber) and have them rewelded.

Frank

My question is, how do you get them beveled copper rings to stay in there? I do not have the necessary kung foo to keep them there untill the pipe is clamped.

I think Micarl posted recently that he roughens up O.D. of seal up & that gets enough offset to get them to stick.

Gary

My question is, how do you get them beveled copper rings to stay in there? I do not have the necessary kung foo to keep them there untill the pipe is clamped.

On mine the exhaust pipe stick out enough to hang the ring on it then slide the two flanges together and clamp. I did not have a problem at all getting the copper ring to stay in place.

I thought about the grease trick as well.Was just wondering if there was another way or if maybe I had the wrong gaskets. Only because the ones I have on mine just but up against the tube and don't slip over anything. It doesn't seem very tight, or seated when it's clamped. I fought with it last year too. Tried the romex, tried to get new gaskets, tried to keep the hair on my head too. Gotta try to get a jump on some maintenance this year before it gets really nice out and I feel terrible about not riding right away.

I thought about the grease trick as well.Was just wondering if there was another way or if maybe I had the wrong gaskets. Only because the ones I have on mine just but up against the tube and don't slip over anything. It doesn't seem very tight, or seated when it's clamped. I fought with it last year too. Tried the romex, tried to get new gaskets, tried to keep the hair on my head too. Gotta try to get a jump on some maintenance this year before it gets really nice out and I feel terrible about not riding right away.

PM MiCarl , he has a motorcycle repair business and is a vendor on here. I'm sure he will help you.

Gary

Did they hand you COPPER rings. If not...you got the wrong part. They may have handed you the gasket for the head. The copper goes between the " steel sandwich rings". Nothing can fall out.

The old ones don't slip over the pipes. Could that be the problem I'm having. Could the guy who had it before me put the wrong ones in? I have two sets of the other gaskets, and Yeah,they don't fit in that spot. LOL. I found that out after a lot of cursing. So, I guess that since everyone says that they slip over the pipe, the next thing to do is get new ones.

Yes, #16 copper ring. Then you have the Clamp rings on each side which squeeze it using the ODD looking stainless clamp. My Vision uses the same design. YOU MUST SLIDE THE rear HEADER PIPE AWAY FROM THE HEAD to do all this. Usually you have to disassemble the whole exhaust system because these copper rings at the rear head and clamps are the 1st things installed at the factory. 2nd- the chamber under the engine then front head pipes. Taking a short cut usually results in a future leak.

The trick here. Slide 1 clamp ring then copper ring then the 2nd clamp ring. Push the pipe back into the to the head.Then carefully spread the CLAMP over the assembly. Basically you are making a sandwich. bread meat bread. But now it's clamping ring, copper ring , clamping ring. All squeezed together with the special clamp. Not you cannot do one side w/o doing the other. So you tighten both clamps last at the same time. If you want a picture of the parts as they should look...email me. I have spares from my vision lying around. Which are same but slightly smaller.

Thank you so much for your help. The only thing that has been tripping me up on this whole thing has been these copper gaskets. Since I now know that they do slip over the tubes I should have no problem fixing this leak this year. As for the procedure, Yeah I know. I've had it apart more that I care to count. This forum rocks! Thank you again.