IGNORED

Nuvi 765T ???

royalstar09

How are you mounting them??? How are you weatherproffing them??? No need to re-invent the wheel. Looking for ideas that are working and pictures if possible.

Im going with this set up unless someone has a better option. This looks like a nice clear install that will protect it nicely. I visited all I could in here through search feature and rthough this is a old post it looks to be the best option.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55068&highlight=garmin

Edited by royalstar09

I have the 765T and really like it. The Bluetooth and built in MP3 player were just what I was looking for in a GPS. I have a 16 GIG card in mine with almost every CD I own on it. The first thing I did was get the Buddy Rich patch cable. He is a member here and I think he has an ad for the cables. What his patch cable does is allow you to connect into the microphone port on the 765T and into the audio cables inside the ferring. This then allows you to use a 5 pin head set to answer your Bluetooth capable phone. I also have a stereo cable from the 765T head phone jack to the mp3 port in the casset deck and can then listen to music through the head phone set when the audio is set to AUX. I bought a Ram Mount for the 765T and mounted it on the handle bars. As far as rain proofing a quart baggie works just fine for me. I don't have any pictures but maybe others will jump in with some for you.

• 11 months later...

Royalstar09: good choice on a GPS. I have one too. I studied for a long time before I bought mine. I was of the "I have navegated a long time with out them gadgets dont need one now" thought. But it sure as heck was GREAT this last summer. I was on a Kawasaki VN 900 and bought a RAM mount for the unit, I have since transfered it to my RSV. A buddy of mine in NC took a 2200+ mile trip (for me anyways) from Charlotte to Ashland Ky over to south Cincinati then down to Knoxville (via I75) then down the Dragon and for me to Madison Ga and then back down to FL. Of the 2200 miles I think just about 1000 or so were interstate. We ran alot of back roads and let me tell you, there is no way I would have been able to read a map in my tank bag, make turns and be aware of up comming road changes safely like I was with the GPS. I only have a 4gb card in mine right now. When I went looking for a card the fellow at the store said anything over the 4gb would be a SDHC or something and probably would not recognize it. :confused24: I dunno if its true but we had a simular deal with a digital camera.

For my trip I downloaded a free program called TYRE (track your route everywhere) For me it was the easiest to understand how to work. The map source and base camp had me pulling my hair out. Anyways I sat down with google and pluged in my start and destination then kind of "bent" the route to where I thought I wanted to go on Google maps. The nice thing is most of the time you can look to the right of the directions and it has a little orange guy or something, it means there is a picture. Click on the orange thing and it shows you taht spot so you can tell if its decent road or not. I layed it out in seperate sections for every day. Some of the roads we were on in Ky were really cool thru the old tobacco country roads. I had it on at first when we got to the dragon but I turned it off as it got distracting telling me to turn, turn yea yea I know.

the 765t with the traffic was helpful also when I was comming into Athens Ga. That place has a confusing road system of inner and outer loops and to boot there was a reck somewhere and the GPS warned about it. Cool. AS far as weather proof, same as KA zip lock and rubber band. I go with the heavier type freezer bag. I figure if its raining hard enough I think the GPS is in trouble I aint running that fast I need the GPS. I got some velcro cable tie things at Radio Shack to tie the cables to the handle bars and tie up the excess power cable etc. Mine are all black. I might have got them at Harbor Freight too. Good luck with your unit. Have you been to http://forums.gpsreview.net/ good place for info on all GPS units. Just look your type up and searchaway for your info.

Just checked I only have a 2gb card in the GPS. It does play for about 4hr though. Maybe I'll just stay with the smaller cardsa and load different types of music on the cards and make it easier to manage. My other MP3 player will allow different folders say rock, country, oldies and you can either shuffle from within those folders or shuffle all. I dont know if the 765 will do this.

Edited by djh3

I have talked to a couple gouys on the Kawaski fourms that are using them also. After discussions over there thats why I went with the 765T. For the difference in cost between this unit and the motorcycle specific ones I thought it was a good buy. I also bought the extended warranty thru square trade for less than $20 for like 2yr.

This is how my 855 is mounted....I got the mount from e-bay and use a freezer bag in rain.

Pickinfred, Do have the specifics on the mount, seller name, P/N, posting number, price, stuff like that?

I just bout a Garmin Nuvi 1450 for the car and thought I would also use it on the bike.

Looking for a simple mount that doesn't take up to much realestate. :fatsmiley:

I saw one on here someone made from a bolt and really thought it was simple and clever.

Pickinfred, Do have the specifics on the mount, seller name, P/N, posting number, price, stuff like that?

Bubber, I don't have the sellers' name and etc. I gave $30-$35 I think. I did find a similar mount...it doesn't have the ability to swivel in the base like mine but I don't think that is necessary if you mount your gps as I did.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-GPS-Mount-Garmin-Nuvi-Streetpilot-1-bar-/200708873560?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2ebb2e5d58

I just bout a Garmin Nuvi 1450 for the car and thought I would also use it on the bike.

Looking for a simple mount that doesn't take up to much realestate. :fatsmiley:

I saw one on here someone made from a bolt and really thought it was simple and clever.

I remember that.......I think Earl (skydoc) maybe?:think:

• 1 year later...

• 4 weeks later...

Dont look like it. I just tried a half dozen times. It apears you cant get enough heigth after unlocking the RAM clip to allow it to come off the garmin mount. I know I have a heck of a time usually getting the stupid little power plug clips to release.

For anyone with the 765T and Ram Mount.

Has anyone found a way to mount the garmin cradle into the ram cradle so I do not have to unplug the cord everytime I want to remove the GPS.

yes! check with Touratech. they have electronic cradles/mounts, easy to remove unit, while leaving cradle hardwired!

For anyone with the 765T and Ram Mount.

Has anyone found a way to mount the garmin cradle into the ram cradle so I do not have to unplug the cord everytime I want to remove the GPS.

Get this adapter for 1" RAM to 17mm Garmin. The 17mm plugs into the stock Garmin cradle. Take the GPS and leave the cradle on the Ram mount with Garmin power cord:

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065080045083066065045082071085/Default.aspx

Get this adapter for 1" RAM to 17mm Garmin. The 17mm plugs into the stock Garmin cradle. Take the GPS and leave the cradle on the Ram mount with Garmin power cord:

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065080045083066065045082071085/Default.aspx

I have seen those adapters,do they hold the gps firmly in position ? I went with the ram mount because I was tired of having to reposition the gps after every bump.

I have seen those adapters,do they hold the gps firmly in position ? I went with the ram mount because I was tired of having to reposition the gps after every bump.

I can't say for sure since I don't have that adapter, but if the RAM adapter is like the rest of the RAM balls, it is rubber and should keep the 765T from moving around.

I bought a cheap plastic handlebar mount for my 765T ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/390471896666?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 ) and it was too loose in the Garmin cradle. I wrapped the 17mm ball with some rubber splice tape and it doesn't move at all now.

I'm thinking the RAM mount should work better, but a little bit of rubber tape may tighten it up if needed.

After reading all of these posts, I went on flea bay and purchased the 765 along with the ram hourglass double ball mount w U-clamp. I haven't had a chance to hook it up yet. My question is, even though its not specifically for a motorcycle, has anyone fond the directions and such catered to cars, putting us in a quandary regarding roads??? :confused24:

i have the 760 and mount it using a bit of aluminium angle held in place by the right hand mirror i can still see the brake sight glass and it doesn't block the view of anything else on the bike i have since rerouted the wiring so it cant bee seen wrapped around the handlebar while i am moving no rain water seems to get on it if i get caught in a real heavy rain i just put it in my pocket the music keeps playing as it has a fm transmitter and runs on its own battery for a few hours ha been on this bike for over a year now and on the last bike for 3 years with no problems