IGNORED

Baron 4-2-4 baffles

I hate starting a new thread on an old topic, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I bought a set of Baron Nasty Boy 4-2-4 pipes for my RSTD last year and ran them for about 1/2 the season. Just about every thread I found out here says they sound great, but mine sound raspy and a lot like the glass packs I put on my old Mustang. I thought they came without glass.

They also feel like there is more back pressure than my old Samsons (which sounded and performed much better). When I goose the throttle they are much slower to respond than my old Samsons did. Before re-chroming and putting the Samsons back on, anyone have a cure for me?

PS How do I get the freakin' baffles out? They get stuck at the end of the pipe.

Much thanks to anyone who can help out..

I had the baron pipes on my bike for a while. I repacked the baffles. The way I got my baffles out was as follows: I removed the tips,and squirted WD-40 into the pipes. I got a sanding drum arbor (see picture below) pushed it in then tightened the nut which expanded the arbor and locked it in place. I used a vice grip plyers attached to a slap hammer and basicaly slapped them out. Repacked them and reinstalled them. My wife and i weren't too happy with them so I went back to the stock pipes. hope this helps.

wish i could help,i have the 4-2-4 nastys and love the way mine sound and perform but i think my baffels are out. good luck with that. when i crack my throttle the bike lunges forward and i've been told by alot of others here that heard it in asheville last year that they thought it had a great sound to it,maybe i just finaly got lucky.

• 10 years later...

I have an 05 Tour deluxe with the Yamaha chrome intakes with K&N filters and have been running the 4-2-4 nasty boys with the fiber glass wrapped baffles for 30,000 miles now , this weekend I completly removed the baffles and the bike sounds and runs Awesome, my question is: Is it ok to run the bike like that without rejetting the carbs?...............Thanks

I would say run for a while and then check your plugs for a lean running condition. Another indicator of insufficient back pressure is backfiring at deceleration. So as long as your plugs do not show a lean running condition and you do not have a lot of backfiring you should be fine. If you do find your running too lean and are backfiring a lot on deceleration there is the risk of burning valves.