IGNORED

5th annual wine party - 2011

gunkylump

Our 5th annual wine party is this coming Saturday, Feb.19th....wine of choice this year is Shiraz...or Syrah, depending on what part of the world it's from. Warm ups start at 7:00, and the "official" tasting begins at 8:00 sharp. Keep the cost of your bottle under $30, keeping in mind that last years winner was $4.95 U.S.(Barefoot Merlot)

Here's how it works....I take your bottle of wine, wrap it in a paper bag, # it.....and when the tasting time arrives, they are all set out, and the score sheets are given to those that want to rate the wines, according to their tastes. The score sheets are added up at the end of the wine tasting, and a "winer" is declared, along with the next 4 top rated so that you can rate your tasting against the "official results". Last year we sampled 19 different bottles, and had 60 winos attend.....it is a lot of fun.

So, if you plan to attend, let me know, I'll get you our address and telephone #. There's a spare bed and 2 spare couches...and lots of floor space to share with the dog and cat Speaking from past experience, the food available is awesome, the mix of people is very entertaining, and it is a GREAT way to break up a long, bleak, cold, dreary, snowy, did I mention COLD winter?

gunk:shock3:

Sorry dont drink :big-grin-emoticon: if it was whiskey sampleing Brad would be first in line:rotf:

Naugh-T

I no longer drink either.....I freeze it and eat it....that way I don't have to lie at a "ride" program...when officer "Bob" asks if I've been drinking....I can honestly say no!!!!!

We'll see you in Kitchener next month as well!

gunk:stirthepot:

We have a lot of fun at this one.....and it grows by leaps and bounds each year...we're expecting about 60 or more this year.....when there are two couples coming together, we advise them to just bring 1 bottle between the two couples, cuts down on the waste wine...but not on the wasted winers.

Next year we'll have a go at Bordeaux's.......just a fun night to break up the monotony of a long winter with no riding.

It's funny how the "cheaper" wines, at least $$$ wise, usually end up being the winner.....when we started this out, we had an upper limit of $20......wine is a lot more expensive up here in Canuckistan......now we've raised the upper end limit to $30, and the so called cheaper wines still top off the evening....who'd a tunk?

Enjoy the idea, we sure do!

Oh....just to throw a little wrench in things...the odds are usually pretty good that you will have a "double" wine to sample...2 bottles the same....I always try to have one pair of wines exactly the same, #'d different, to see if there is anyone who can spot them.

Believe it or not....there is usually at least one who has....and there are a lot of very, very happy campers here before the wine tasting is completed, if you know what I mean

You'll have fun with it, DO IT!

gunk:backinmyday: